Chapter 34 - Not Yet

Every time I sparred with Mist, I had the sense she held back

Every time I sparred with Mist, I had the sense she held back. I couldn't believe she was concerned about my ability to defend myself. Not when I had dragonscale that would protect me with a thought.

She had to be hiding an ability of some kind.

My curiosity was a relentless itch, driving me to figure out what she could do. Yet regardless of how I pushed her—increasing my speed, attacking with strength—I hadn't managed to get her to reveal it. But then, she knew I'd sooner bite off my own arm than actually hurt her, so perhaps she didn't feel threatened or desperate enough.

Still, I revelled in our daily sessions. Until her arrival, it had been a long time since I'd sparred with anyone other than another dragon, and Nabu and I knew each other's moves too well. Mist kept me on my toes. While she couldn't match my raw strength, she was nimble and unpredictable. She flowed from one movement to the next with lightning speed and a graceful style that spoke of centuries of practice. That this fierce warrior submitted to me so completely never failed to rouse my passion as we sparred.

Tricolour blue eyes sparkled as she laughed and parried with the dual short swords she'd chosen today. By the Abyss, she was spectacular and I grinned even as she drove a foot into my abdomen, shoving me back to create distance between us. A light sheen of sweat glistened on her pale skin and she tossed her head, sending her ponytail of braids flying.

"Surely you didn't think I'd fall for that, my lord?" she taunted, but her gaze focused behind me and she lost her mirth. A tightness came to her expression and I knew without looking who had entered the courtyard.

Manannan.

All week he'd attempted to convince her to leave, and now that the raging instincts of my mating heat no longer fogged my thoughts with the overwhelming possessive need to claim both Anna and Mist as mine, I'd caught the nuances of Mist's response. They'd clearly had some prior relationship, yet neither had spoken of it. Manannan's thoughts only provided glimpses of his longing and flashes of memory with the two of them entwined in passion.

But Mist closed down whenever he approached. Whatever they'd had between them, it had ended in hurt on her end. Hurt, and perhaps anger. The laughing, teasing kitten I'd come to know disappeared and a hardness shuttered her eyes. Not that she withdrew from me. Exactly the opposite.

As she'd done numerous times over the past week, Mist closed the distance between us, a half-lidded sensuality appearing on her face. She dropped her swords and pressed her curvaceous body against mine. Sweat-dampened limbs climbed my chest to curl around my neck as she gazed up at me, deliberately ignoring the presence of the elven sea god.

"You seem to have other swords in need of a sheath, my lord," she purred, rubbing against the straining leather at my groin.

The little minx knew sparring with her made my blood heat, my cocks aching with the restraint of my pants and internal pouch. I cupped her breasts, pinching the nipples. "By all means, kitten. Undo my buttons so I can fuck you the way your needy little cunt is begging to be fucked."