《17》Lingering Doubt

cover art by  h0pe.lez 

.

.

.

.

.

The lights were dim in the private room of a luxurious restaurant. Gojo's pale hair stood out like a sore thumb, as his crystal-like eyes hid behind his shades. Before him were various exotic dishes prepared, but none has been touched.  Another sat across from him, taking out a yellow envelope. They slide the package over to him, urging Gojo to pick it up.

"These are the documents you asked for, Sir," The man says, "It states everything the Gojo has done over the last 27 years,"

Gojo looks at the yellow envelope, he flips it open, "What about the Zen'In?"

The man before him bows, "We are still looking through it, Sir,"

"Alright...good work," Gojo says, looking through the documents. He eyes each page, seeing nothing out of the ordinary. Up until he landed on a specific date, June 10th, 1990. It was 6 months after Gojo Satoru was born. Gojo frowns, lifting the page, and directing the paper towards the other, "Why is this blank?"

"Ah, about that," The man leans a bit forward, "...we aren't sure whether it's true or just our speculation--" Just then, the man's phone vibrated. He takes it out from inside his suit, taking a peek at the message he received. His eyes widen.

He quickly ushers his phone to Gojo, "Sir, take a look at this," Gojo was then handed the phone, and his eyes widened at the sight before him. 

"Apparently, some ex-hitman spotted a member of the Gojo clan speaking with Taiki Zen'In on June 10th, 1990 around 3:30 pm,"

Gojo saw the photo in hand, where he recognized his father's back and the man he spoke to. He can clearly see the picture, and Taiki's grim expression was captured perfectly. They were seen at a private Japanese dining.

"This was the only evidence captured at that moment since the ex-hitman was pursued by Gojo's bodyguards," The man sighs, "I'm surprised he's made it out alive for this long,"

Gojo says nothing, still looking at the phone in hand. His eyes are slightly widen, he brings his hand to cover his mouth.

'To think that they knew all this time...' Gojo didn't know what to feel exactly, he was filled with mixed emotions. Negative thoughts only filled his head, thinking of all sorts of scenarios his family could have done. 

Was his family really involved with her parents' murder?

'No...but that doesn't make any sense...if they knew all this time surely Haruka would have also been...' Gojo frowns, as he was now seated in the black car. Ichiji just came to pick him up for an upcoming mission. The poor man felt awkward in this long silence, taking peeks at the front mirror where he could see Gojo. It has been exactly 30 minutes of this painful silence.