《23》Bitter Past

cover art by h0pe.lez

Getou & Haru inspired Spotify:
https://open.spotify.com/playlist/75mEXMrUsxxbOC5IyAlz4d?si=SEmt2fuiRWiH46aGArgEMg

.

.

.

.

.

"Haru? Haru~?" A soft voice calls out to the distracted woman, who blinks rapidly. Her eyes drew from her hands towards the man before her. His expression shows one of concern, tilting his head lightly.

"What's wrong? You look pale..." His brows knitted, as his eyes scan her face. Haru is a bit flustered by her daydream, fixing her posture with a slight cough. She had forgotten she was here at his temple, visiting as a guest since he insisted on inviting her for tea.

"Sorry...I didn't mean to--" She wanted to apologize for her rude actions, she couldn't believe she had just dozed off after he had spoken to her.

"Shh

"Shh..shh...It's fine..." He whispers, his eyes boring into hers with a gentle look. Haru catches his endearing gaze, his gaze ever so soft and calm. Haru always found his eyes comfortable to look at, almost familiar. She couldn't quite point it out exactly.

He spoke, softly, "Are you having those dreams again?" He prepared the tea that he promised her. Haru draws her eyes towards where he organized the traditional tea ceremony, chanoyo. His fingers move with elegance, stirring the whisk gently with no spill. He was doing a fair job as if he practiced enough for perfection. Haru was left impressed.

"Yeah...I'm used to them," Haru says, trying to keep her mind off her thoughts and focus on the ceremony that Getou prepared for her. Bad memories would often surge every time...as if reminding her never to forget her dreadful past. As much as she tried to run away, she found herself backed into the same place, the same corner.

The same routine...every damn year.

Getou peeks a glance at Haru as if trying to find something else in her stoic expression. She was good at hiding her emotions, so it was quite hard to figure her out at first. It didn't take him a while to find something. He was good at distinguishing people too. It was his specialty, he was a monk after all...so he had to play the part.

"Being used to them doesn't mean that they don't bother you," Getou says, finishing up the whisking, and setting the item aside towards a clean cloth. Haru says nothing because he was right. No matter how much she gets used to it, she is still haunted by her dark past.