Chapter 10

✨CHAPTER 10✨

The Henderson girl was sitting on the couch in the Wheeler basement once again, Eleven was laying on Hailey's legs

The Henderson girl was sitting on the couch in the Wheeler basement once again, Eleven was laying on Hailey's legs. Eleven felt save close to the Henderson girl. "What was Will saying? Like home...like home but dark?" Mike asked, they've been sitting here trying to figure out what Will meant by what he was saying "and empty." Lucas added "empty and cold. Wait, did he say cold?" Dustin asked not sure. "I don't know, The stupid radio kept going in and out." Lucas said frustrated.

"It feels like riddle's in the dark." Hailey said looking at the boys. Mike was walking up and down "like home. Like his house?" Mike asked "or maybe like Hawkins" Lucas suggested. "Upsidedown."Eleven mumbled. "What'd she say?" Lucas asked, looking at the others "upside down." Hailey said, catching on.

"What?"

"Upside down. When El showed us where Will was, she flipped the board over, Remember? Upside down. Dark. Empty." Mike said refering to the board. "Do you guys understand what he's talking about?" Lucas asked, "No." Was Dustin's reply. Hailey stood up from the coach and joined them."Guy's, Come on, think about it when El took us to find Will, she took us to his house, right?" Mike said to them, hoping they'll get the point. "Yeah, and he wasn't there." Lucas reminded him. "Wait, Mikey might have a point, what if Will was there, we just weren't able to see him. Will could have been on the other side." Hailey told them.

Mike flipped the board to the side where the game gets played on. "What if this is Hawkins and," he flips the board back to the other side, "this is where Will is? The upside down." The Wheeler boy explained to them.

"Like the vale of shadows." Dustin said, they all looked at each other at the pieces started to fit together like a puzzle. Dustin went and got the dungeons and dragons book.

"The vale of shadows is a dimension that is a dark reflection or echo of our world. It is a place of decay and death. A plane out of phase. A place of monsters. It is right next to you, and you don't even see it." He read to them. "An alternative dimension." Mike said in realization. "How are we suppose to get there?" Hailey asked curiously.

"You cast shadow walk." Dustin told her. "In real life, dummy." Lucas said. "We can't shadow walk, but maybe she can." Dustin said looking at Eleven, making the rest also look at her.

"Do you know how we get there? To the upside down?" Mike asked her. Eleven shook her head no. "Oh my god." Hailey hoped that they'll be able to figure out what they could do to get to Will, before it was to late.

*°••°*

Getting ready for a funeral for a boy who may not even be dead, didn't sit quiet right with Hailey, she would rather take every minute she could to look for Will. She did feel responsible for him going missing, now she had to waste time at this fake funeral.

"Come on, kids. It's time to go." Mrs Henderson yelled for her children.

Hailey was at least close to the boys at the funeral as the priest started talking.

"Fear not, for I am with you. Be not dismayed for I am your God. I will strengthen you. Yes, I will help you. I will uphold you with my righteous right hands. It's times like these that our faith is challenged. How if he is truly benevolent, could God take from us, someone so young, so innocent? It would be easy to turn away from God, but we must remember that nothing, not even tragedy can separate us from his love. We are here today to find comfort in the truth of scripture, and to surround Will and his family."

Hailey started looking around, the boys trying to look sad, Dustin started smiling when he saw a girl crying, he grabbed the others attention as well. "Just wait till we tell Will that Jennifer Hayes was crying at his funeral." Dustin said smiling, the other boys were smiling too, Mrs Wheeler 'shhh' them and they quickly kept quiet.

After the funeral Hailey had a whole plate of food in her arms following the boys as they looked for their teacher.

"Mr Clarke?" Mike called out. He turned around looking at the boys. "Oh hey there. How are you boys holding up?" He asked. "We're in... mourning." Lucas said trying to look sad. "Man, these aren't real Nilla wafers." Dustin said, Hailey pinched him on the arm. "We were wondering if you had time to talk?" Mike asked, really wanting to find an answer on how to get to the upside down.

"We have some questions."

"A lot of questions."

Hailey and the boys sat down by an empty table, Mr Clarke joining them. Mike didn't wait for anyone to take a breath, "So you know how in Cosmos, Carl Sagan talks about other dimensions? Like, beyond our world?" Mike asked looking at their teacher.

"Yeah, sure theoretically."

"Right theoretically."

"So theoretically, how do we travel there?" Lucas asked. "You guys have been thinking about Hugh Everett's Many - world's interpretation, haven't you?" Mr Clarke asked, Hailey was all nerd so she didn't understand a word he just said. "Well, basically, there are parallel universes, just like our world, but just infinite variations of it. Which means there's a world out there where none of this tragic stuff ever happened." Mr Clarke told them.

Hailey finally understood that the teacher thought they were asking for completely other reasons. "I don't think that's what the boys were talking about." Hailey said.

"Oh."

"We were thinking of more of an evil dimension, like the vale of shadows, you know the vale of shadows?" Dustin asked. "An echo of the material plane, where necrotic and shadow magic..." Mr Clarke got interrupted. "Yeah, exactly. If that did exist, a place like the vale of shadows how would we travel there?" Mike asked getting to the point

"Theoretically." Lucas added.

"Well..." Mr Clarke took a paper plate and drew on it as he explained to the boys. "Picture... an acrobat... standing on a tightrope. Now the tightrope is our dimension, and our dimension has rules, you can move forwards or backwards, but what if... right next to our acrobat, there is a flea? Now the flea can also travel back and forth, just like the acrobat, right?"

"Right." Mike said, all of them listening intently. "Here's where things get really interesting. The flea can also travel this way... Along the side of the rope, he can even go underneath the rope." Mr Clarke said looking at them.

"Upside down." They said in sync.

"Exactly."

"But we're not the flea, we're the acrobat." Mike said, "In this metaphor, yes, we're the acrobat." Mr Clarke told him.

"So we can't go upside down?" Lucas asked

"No."

"Well is there anyway for the acrobat to get to the upside down?" Dustin asked hopefully. "Well... you'd have to create a massive amount of energy. More than humans are currently capable of creating, mind you, to open up some kind of tear in time and space, and then..." Mr Clarke folds the paper plate in half, sticking the pen through it to make his point.

"You create a doorway." Mr Clarke said. "Wait, you mean like a gate?" Hailey asked trying to understand all this science stuff. "Sure. Like a gate, but again, this is all..."

"Theoretical." Lucas said. "But... but what if this gate already existed?" Mike asked, Hailey hoped they were able to finally get the answers they looking for.

"Well, if it did, I... I think we'd know, it would disrupt gravity, the magnetic field, our environment. Heck, it might even swallow us up whole. Science is neat, but I'm afraid it's not very forgiving." Mr Clarke told them.

Science only gave Hailey a headache, the only things she actually knew, was the few things the boys has discussed with her.

*°•Unedited•°*