Chapter 21

✨CHAPTER 21✨

Steve sat in his car in the school's parking lot, Nancy in the driver's seat

Steve sat in his car in the school's parking lot, Nancy in the driver's seat. He gave her his college admission letter, he would have like if Hailey was the one going through the letter, but Nancy insisted that she would do it for him.

"It's crap, I know." Steve says, looking in the other direction, hoping he would see Hailey, so that he can get out of this tense situation with his girlfriend.

"No, it's not crap." Nancy simply says, still going through it.

"It's not good." Steve says, trying to get her to tell him the truth and not string him along. "It's going to be." Nancy says looking up from the paper, it made him feel even worse. "Just... It needs some reorganizing. Can I mark on it?" She asks, pen in hand, and this is why he wanted to ask Hailey she would've been a lot more gentler about things.

"Yeah, I guess." He says, Nancy slowly started pointing out what she found wrong, "So, in the first paragraph, "you used the basketball game versus Northern as a metaphor for your life, which is great.
But then, around here, you start talking about your granddad's experiences in the war, and I... I don't see how they're connected." Nancy points out, staring at him.

"It connects because... because, you know, we both won." Steve tries to explan, but she didn't look impressed with his explanation. "Do you think I should start from scratch?" He asks her. "No. I mean..." Nancy says, not able to find the words.

"When's the deadline?" She asks instead.

"It's tomorrow for early application. Can you come and help me tonight?" Steve speaks up, but got shot down. "We have our dinner tonight, remember?" Nancy reminds him.

"Oh, my God!"

"We already canceled last week." Nancy says, not planning on cancelling again "You don't have to go. Just work on this." She adds, Steve was leaning his head against the car seat, he already just wanted to give up.

"No, no, no. What's the point?" Steve asks, grabbing the paper from her hands, crumbling it up.

"Hey, calm down."

"I'm calm. I'm calm."

"I'm just being honest. You know, I mean... I'll end up working for my dad anyway." Steve says frustrated all over again.

"That's not true."

"I don't know, Nance. Is that such a bad thing? There's insurance and benefits and all that adult stuff, and if I took it, you know, I could be around for your senior year." Steve says, knowing if he went he won't be seeing Nancy, or have any contact with Hailey.

"Steve... "

"Just to look after you a little bit. Make sure you don't forget about this pretty face." Steve says trying to be sweet, but Nancy only gave him a look, so he adds, "Nance, I'm serious. I love you." He says leaning in to kiss her.