Chapter 8 - A Widow

My phone begins to ring, and I stop walking when seeing who it is that is calling

It's Leonid. Like I said, he pays me well, so I answer.

"I need you to come to my house now." He hangs up before I get to even respond.

One thing about my job is that almost everyone thinks they are my boss when I don't work for them because I have to. I do it because I feel like it. Leonid sounded very fucking angry, and I am going to go only because his tone of voice told me that someone tried to fuck around with him. That indicates that he will pay me anything I want because he knows that I'm the only one who can help.

I put my phone in my pocket and continue my walk back to my car. I just came out of a meeting with some other agents who actually take the job seriously. At least to my knowledge.

__

I enter the living room to Leonid Ivanov's mansion to see that everyone is here.

By that I mean his wife, Nikolai and Vladimir, and Akim and Morelia.

I observe Leonid and Gianna in a corner, and it seems like Leonid is angrily trying to explain something to her, but his anger isn't directed towards her.

"What's going on?" I ask the others and Morelia stands beside me with Akim following her.

"Our mother's jewelry was stolen."

I actually can't fucking believe what I'm hearing. I've heard about Alina Ivanov's blue diamonds and their worth. Never would I have thought they would get stolen.

"They were replaced with fake ones." Morelia adds in and it only adds to my surprise.

Nikolai and Vladimir come up to me with different jewelry in their hands. They're an exact replica of the real ones that I would have never realized they were stolen.

"They're identical." I state and the two men in front of me nod in agreement.

"A jeweler went to the penthouse where we were keeping it. He immediately informed us that the lock to the glass box was broken before he even got to put the key in it. Leonid went over and had the man look at the jewelry to make sure it was fine and that's when he said that the diamonds weren't real." Akim informs me as I touch one of the fake pieces.

"He's pissed off because of that and because he was about to step on the plane to go on his honeymoon with Gianna." Morelia adds in glancing over at the stressed couple speaking in the corner still.

"It's fucking weird because we had the best and most expensive security in that damn penthouse." Akim says with a hint of frustration in his voice.

"No, Leonid." Gianna tries to pull Leonid back, but the man is obviously stronger than her and walks toward us, specifically me.

"We know who did it." He states as Gianna gets to him and hugs his arm to get his attention.

She's pleading him with her eyes, and he only gives her a small kiss on the forehead before looking back at me.

"Leonid, don't. It wasn't her." Gianna interrupts him before he gets to speak.

"Who is she?" Akim questions now obviously wanting to know who they're referring to.

The look on Morelia's face tells me that she is the only one who isn't confused right now.

"No one." She replies to Akim and now he's looking at her for answers.

"Leonid, please don't." Gianna begs him but he ignores her while holding her waist in a way for her to calm down.

"It was that fucking thief who is faceless and is famous in the underworld and real world." Leonid informs me and I know very well of who he is talking about.

"That thief's name is Katya. The Russian girl who is friends with Gianna and Morelia."

I'm taken by surprise again for the second time today. Katya? My Katya?

"It wasn't." Gianna quickly tells me, and Morelia is giving me a look saying that what Gianna is saying is true.

"Katya would never do something like that knowing that I'm married to Leonid and Morelia is married to Akim." She adds on and I can tell how much they care for and trust their friend.

I'm still surprised that such a beautiful and innocent looking woman is being accused of this.

"She's the that fucking thief the whole world is looking for. I'm sure she is capable of doing it." Leonid speaks up once again and Gianna looks very angry with him.

"Arrest Katya." He orders me. Fucker.

"I don't take orders from you, Leonid. I don't work for you and apart from that I can't arrest her without evidence." I'm lying. I can arrest her, but I don't want to and I'm not sure why.

"None of you are going to touch her or hurt her in anyway." Morelia suddenly threatens and that assassin that she seemed to have killed is all I see in her eyes.

"I will put you all in prison if you do." Gianna adds in to the threats.

"Husband or not." She decides to sneak in but very clearly and right Leonid's face.

"Search her townhouse. I'm sure you'll find them there along with all the other diamonds she has stolen." Leonid looks away from his wife and at me.

"Are we just ignoring the fact that we know who The Thief is?" Vladimir interrupts with slightly widened eyes.

"Yeah, I literally shook her hand just a few days ago. She's hot too." Nikolai then speaks up and I feel a bit of discomfort with his last few words.

"No one gives a fuck. We need to know who has the damn diamonds in their possession." Akim gives them a deadly glare.

"Why don't you two fuck heads start searching instead?" Leonid tells them and they only slightly nod before excusing themselves and leaving the room.

"I'll see what I can do." Is all I tell the Ivanov brothers and their worried wives.

Morelia is staring me down and sometimes I regret making her so violent. She could be a whole fucking serial killer and be able to get away with it.

I excuse myself and I leave just in time to hear Gianna and Leonid begin to argue all over again and Morelia threaten Akim while they excuse themselves.

I won't be too surprised if the women end up widows or with their husbands magically behind bars.

_________________________________