Thirty-One

I was starting to feel the effects of the wine, and though I knew I should slow it down, I was enjoying the feeling of bliss.

"It's nice to finally meet the woman that captured Zephyr's heart," said a woman as she stood in front of me. I squinted, unsure who she was and if I should know her. I had met more people than I can remember tonight.

"I'm sorry, did we already meet? I'm a little drunk," I replied, showing just how little with my fingers. The woman chuckled, and I was glad I hadn't offended her.

"I'm Zephyr's aunt, Orillia's sister, Mariella," she introduced herself, sitting down next to me.

I blinked at her, my wine-soaked mind trying to keep up with the information. "Mariella," I slurred, the name rolling off my tongue. She chuckled again, her ebony eyes twinkling under the dim lights of the night. She was a striking woman, just like Orillia, but there was an essential softness about her that Nonna lacked. It was surprising Nonna was once a Capa when she had two seemingly innocent daughters.

"We've all heard so much about you, Nila," she continued, "and after the life that boy has led, we're all just glad he's found someone who can keep up with him."

"Oh, I'm not sticking around," I sputtered, knowing I slipped. Mariella frowned, about to ask for an explanation, but Zephyr swooped in.

"Zia Mariella," he said, grabbing the wine glass I was holding despite my protest. "My wife has had too much to drink clearly, I'm going to just take her up to rest." He lifted me by the waist and I frowned.

"But, I want to stay." My protests were ignored as he made his way through the dissipating crowd, as friends and families said their goodbyes.

"How much have you had to drink?" He asked, steadying me as I lost my balance on the step.

"Just a few," I replied unconvincingly, having lost count over the evening.

"I can tell," he muttered, shaking his head slightly as he guided me up the rest of the stairs. Despite the alcohol clouding my senses, I could still feel the warmth of his hand on my lower back, a constant anchor in my tipsy state.

"You're mad at me," I slurred, turning to face him. Zephyr sighed, cupping my cheek firmly in his palm.

"You almost spilled everything to my aunt," he fumed, his eyes narrowed in concern. "What were you thinking?"

"I... I didn't mean to," I mumbled, my head spinning as the wine amplified my guilt. He let out a quiet sigh, running a hand through his hair.

"What's done is done, come on, let's get you to bed," he said, guiding us once again.

"I'm sorry," I mumbled, swaying slightly as he continued to guide me towards our bedroom. He was silent, a grim line set on his lips.

Once we reached our room, he helped me sit on the edge of the bed before crouching down to remove my shoes. I watched him with half-lidded eyes, the concern underlying his annoyance tugging at my heartstrings.

"I didn't mean to—hic—upset you," I hiccuped, reaching out a hand to touch his arm. Zephyr stilled under my touch, his hands stopped midway through unbuckling one of my heels.

"I know," he said after a long pause, his voice much softer now than it was in the hallway. He removed the rest of my footwear before standing up and helping me out of my dress. The fabric pooled at my feet, leaving me in my undergarments, and he gently guided me to lie down on the bed.

He disappeared for a moment, returning with a glass of water and two pills. "Here, take these; they should help with the hangover tomorrow."

I obediently sat up, swallowing down the pills with a sip of water.