Fourteen

The next morning, I felt a firm hand shaking my shoulder, jolting me awake from a deep sleep. I groggily turned away, pulling the covers over my head to block out the intruder. But the sound of blinds being drawn open and light flooding into the room forced me to reluctantly sit up, squinting against the sudden brightness.

"Ms. Herrera, you need to wake up," a stern voice commanded. "It's time to get ready." I rubbed my eyes, trying to adjust to the harsh light as I was pulled from the warm cocoon of blankets.

"What time is it?" I mumbled, still half asleep. "It's almost 9 o'clock," the woman replied briskly. "Your wedding is in an hour and a half. You are already an hour behind schedule." I shivered as the cool air hit my bare skin when the woman forcefully yanked off the covers.

"Just ten more minutes," I pleaded, curling up in a fetal position for warmth.

"Andiamo principessa," another voice chimed in. "È il tuo matrimonio."

With a sharp intake of breath and a hand rubbing away sleep from my eyes, my voice cut through the morning air like a knife.

"Don't call me a fucking Princess, dickhead." My words were met with a deep chuckle from Luca, the man standing by the door.

"Such a foul mouth you have in the morning," he teased. "You go around calling your future husband such words, let's just say you won't be walking for the next two days." I froze at his words, my eyes widening as I took in the lady standing beside him. The blush on her face was evident as she attempted to stifle her giggle, knowing that Luca was speaking in sexual innuendos.

The woman, dressed in what could only be described as a maid outfit, hurriedly walked into the bathroom and turned on the shower.

"You might want to hurry up and get ready. Oh, and don't do anything else to piss off the Castillos today, alright?" I gave him the finger in response, and he laughed before leaving me with the woman who was now expecting me in the bathroom.

Letting out a frustrated grunt, I threw a pillow across the room in annoyance before reluctantly meeting the woman who appeared to be in her fifties.

"I can shower on my own, thanks," I said politely. I wasn't trying to be rude, but I had scars that I'd rather not explain to a stranger. The woman closed the door behind her, and I couldn't help but feel relieved.

I stripped off my clothes, not having the energy to fight anymore, and stepped into the steaming shower. Lost in thought, I didn't realize how long I had been in there until I heard a knock on the door.

"Ms. Herrera, it's time to get ready," the woman called through the door. I quickly wrapped my hair in a towel and slipped on the robe before stepping out into the room, surprised to see more people now occupying the space.

"Please, come and take a seat," one of the women said, her voice sweet and melodic. She gestured towards a high-backed chair with intricate carvings along the edges. "We're running behind schedule, and Mr. Castillo doesn't appreciate tardiness." I wasn't sure which Castillo they were referring to, but from the rumors I had heard, it was likely Zephyr himself. His impatience was notorious.

I allowed myself to be pulled into the chair as one of the women began working on my makeup. The familiar scents of powders and creams filled my nose as I watched in the mirror as another woman laid out expensive jewels on the bed. The cover of my wedding gown was unzipped, revealing layers of delicate material that glimmered in the light.

"Oh wow, you look absolutely stunning!" Orillia exclaimed as she entered the room, her eyes fixed on me with admiration and awe. She signaled to the helpers, asking them to give us some privacy, and soon we were alone in the room. "Nila, I'm so sorry about all of this. I did my best to talk to Michael and Zephyr, but unfortunately, they won't budge." Tears glistened in her eyes as she spoke. Despite the circumstances, I couldn't hold onto my anger towards her. She had genuinely tried for my sake.