Thirty-Eight

A sharp, icy grip of disbelief and fear seized me as I stared at the screen in front of me. My heart raced and my palms began to sweat as I saw my bounty price, displayed in bold red numbers, had shot up from the third highest to the first. It was a staggering amount, enough to make anyone's head spin. The target on my head just tripled and I couldn't even begin to imagine what kind of danger I was now in.

The room felt suffocating, the air heavy with tension and panic. It had been almost a month since we discovered the hitlist, a month of being under house arrest and constantly living in fear of who put out the bounty on me. Zephyr had lost countless hours of sleep worrying about my safety.

"Zeph!" I called out, my voice trembling with emotion. He rushed into the room from the closet, half-dressed and ready for action. His normally composed face was etched with concern and worry.

"What is it, amore?" he asked urgently. I turned the screen around so he could see it and his eyes widened in shock before narrowing in determination.

"I'm going to make some calls," he declared, hastily buttoning his shirt. "Just stay here." His words were both a command and a plea.

I didn't move, not because I was following his instructions but because I physically couldn't. Fear had paralyzed me and all I could do was watch as Zephyr took charge, determined to protect me both from whatever dangers lay ahead.

As Zephyr disappeared out of the room, his grim expression etched into my mind, I found myself grappling with reality. My mind wandered back to the poolside conversation with my brother. Had I brought this on myself?

Suddenly, I heard loud voices from down the hall. My heart pounded against my ribcage like a hammer. It was Zephyr and Michael. Their heated words, while muffled by the distance, sounded frantic and urgent.

I forced myself to stand up, shaking off the paralysis that had taken over me before. Drawing from reserves of strength I didn't know I still possessed, I left the room to eavesdrop on their conversation.

"By upping her price, they've just put a massive spotlight on her Dad! It isn't enough keeping her here!" Zephyr's voice echoed through the hallway, his words laced with frustration and anger.

"What do you suggest we do?" Michael's voice was strained, hinting at the fatigue that he too must have been feeling. The family had always been involved with danger, but this, this was something else entirely.

"We need to move her somewhere more secluded," Zephyr countered, the tension in his voice unbearable. He slammed his fist into something hard and I jumped slightly at the sudden sound. "We can't just hope for the best anymore."

The words flew like sharp arrows between Michael and Zeph, their frustration and worry palpable in the air. The room was heavy with a sense of impending danger, an invisible shroud that brought no comfort. I could feel my heart racing as I listened to their conversation, knowing that every passing second could be crucial.

I called up Dante, pacing back and forth back in the bedroom. My eyes kept darting to the screen, unable to focus on anything else. "Nila? Is everything alright?" Dante's worried voice greeted me.

"Not really," I replied, my voice trembling despite my efforts to sound calm. "Have you checked the site lately?"

"No, what's going on? Elsa is doing her best but it's encrypted beyond her skill level."

"Well, you better check again," I said, trying to keep my voice steady. "I'm now the top bounty."

There was a stunned silence on the other end of the line before Dante finally muttered, "Jesus, Nila. This is bad."