chapter 7 : let's do it

Shalini

"Will you marry me ?"

"What" I was shocked , I looked at Rudra and laughed... I was laughing like crazy.

My laughter came to an end when I looked at Rudra again , he did not find this funny .

" Why should I marry you " I asked looking at him , now with a serious expression on my face .

" Amma " he said silently

Something is wrong, I knew Rudra will not joke about something like this . Whenever it was it must be important.

" What about her " I asked him to get some context.

" She wants me to marry and she likes you so I asked you out ... It will not be a real one just pretending until she is better . "

" Why don't you actually marry someone , you are in the right age. Why do you want to pretend "

" I don't want to marry yet , one day but not know , I just need Amma to get better even if it means I pretend to be married ."

" What will you do if she finds out , she will be hurt . You should not do it Rudra "

He gave me a hopeless look ,after taking a long breathe he said

" She is not well , she will not be able to survive if she gets another attack. After  you and Tara went home , Amma asked me to get married as her last wish , I asked her not to talk like this but knowing her condition I don't want to ignore her wishes and try my best to make her happy and help her to get better "

There was a brief moment of silence between us after his honest talk. He told me to sit with Amma while he went outside for a while .

I was sitting beside Amma who was now awake , a doctor came into the room to check on her . He asked me to buy some medicines which were needed , I saw Rudra outside the hospital near to a tea shop smoking on a cigarette.

" Smoking is bad for your health" I commented looking at him

This is not the first time I have seen him smoke after the train . Actually I have seen him smoke multiple time in  night on the roof . 

After staying up and not being able to do my work , I found roof as a hide out , I could see the ghat from the roof which helped me relax .

Once I was on the roof and saw smoke coming from the other side, I went to check and found a shirtless Rudra smoking. After that day I saw him multiple times,even he knew about me as once my phone rang while I was on the roof and Rudra saw me there .  we started on our sides giving each other privacy.

" Why are you here, you should be with Amma "

" Doc asked me to get some medicines,was just buying them. "

Rudra had put his cigarette out before he started following me towards the hospital.

......

After few days ,Rudra returned home with Amma , she looked better than the previous days, Tara was very emotional having her back .

Tara started preparing food for Amma as per her diet plan given by the doctor , I helped her in the process .

Tara was talking about something when we heard Amma shouting Rudra's name, Tara and I rushed out of the kitchen . Tara entered the room while I stayed outside to give them a movement as a family but the voices of there argument were loud and clear .

" Rudra stop ignoring me , I want you to get married " Amma shouted at top of her voice.

" But Amma .." Rudra was cut by Amma while he was trying to say his opinion

" I don't know how much time I have, I am old and I want you to find someone who can be your partner and take care of you and your sister when I go "

" Tara ask your brother why does he not what to be married . Rudra I want to be tension free when I die. "

I could see Rudra from outside, he had no explanation on his face. Tara tried her best to came Amma down which she succeeded at after a while.

A few days had passed since Amma returned back. She was getting better until one evening .

I was sitting with Amma while Tara was doing some of her assignments, when I noticed that Amma's  temperature was lower than normal, I asked Tara to check it to and in the end just to be on the safer side we took her to the emergency.

Upon arriving  the doctor immediately admitted Amma , Tara called Rudra who rushed to the hospital.

The doctor run some test on Amma and told us that she should get a stent.

Rudra who had just entered the hospital a few minutes back was shocked to hear that , he enquired about her condition as she was previously admitted and did not need one at the time.

The doctor explained that previously the medicine help to reduce the effect but for long run she should get the stent .

Rudra and Tara both agreed that it was the best option for Amma's health. They agreed with the doctor and Amma was scheduled for her surgery .
.....

Amma's surgery was scheduled for the day after, she was taken to a room and was told about her condition , after the surgery, Tara spend most of her time in the hospital as Amma refused to talk to Rudra .

Amma's surgery and then no talking to Rudra police had taken trol on Rudra . He was now smoking like crazy, even madhav his friend found it annoying. I and madhav have become friends thanks to annoying nature of Rudra. He has become much more crazy nowadays and me calling him idiot has increased too .

One night , I was annoyed . I had got a call from my boss , he was telling me to complete my work faster which was impossible. To relax my mind I went on the roof, I saw Rudra on his side of the big roof . He was smoking, instead of giving him space I decided to talk to him.

" What is going on with you"

" You know , I think " he said without even looking at me .  Smoke from his cigarette was filing the air around us  which made me cough , he took a deep breath of the smoky air and put his cigarette out .

" How is Amma " he asked final looking at , Amma had banned his entry in her room ever since they had the marriage argument in the hospital. Amma is acting like a child, she really wants him to be wedded.

" Better , doctor are saying she will be able to come home soon " I looked at his face, he had dark circles around his eyes, his hair and beard was all messy,

He give me a silent nod as a response.

" Do you think Amma will talk to me once she returned home"

I was silent at Rudra's comment , I had no idea if she will talk to him or not .

We both came to a halt when we did not have any words to exchange .

Under the moon light, could see a tired Rudra who has not been sleeping  ,who is helpless. Seeing him like this makes hurt.

" Rudra .... Let's do it, lets get married" I said nervously

" Done" Rudra said with a smile on his face .

Now the crazy story begins