44 || High & Low

Trigger Warning: Talk of Cancer, Suicide, & Mental Health! Description of Blood! Read at your own Risk!

-Harry-

Waking up the next morning after Christmas, Jude and I go downstairs to get a some breakfast. We both order coffee and two different meals.

We eat our meals in quiet and reach back up to the room. Jude leaves a little after.

Staring at the TV, nothing around me has changed. Eulalia looks the same, Doctor Blake has remained the same with the same suggestions, but I keep denying, and it's that loud silence that holds our conversations together.

Going through my backpack, I remember I stashed Eulalia's present at the bottom when I got back from the party. Opening up the unwrapped box, a dove shaped necklace with heart jewel in the middle blings, just waiting for the owner. Rubbing my finger over the piece of jewelry, I look over to Eulalia, who has no idea what is happening.

"Knock, knock," the nurse repeats, walking into the room with a clipboard. She has to do a quick search if anything has been changed, but she ends up finding nothing, and leaves me alone.

A few minutes later, actual knocks are made on the wooden door. I look up to see someone I am not found of, but am familiar with. Eulalia's skating partner, Zayn, stands tall with a bouquet of flowers and a singular yellow smiley face ballon.

"Zayn."

"Hey," he murmurs, walking slowly into the room and setting the items down on the table.

I cross my arms over my chest, "What are you doing here?"

"I thought I would visit her, she was my partner. I think I deserve to pay my respects to someone who was very...hardworking." Relaxing, I do see why he is here. Though, I believed he flirted with her, he is still a nice guy and is trying to do the right thing.

"I see," I hum.

"How is she?" He asked.

I look over to see her fragile face. "The doctor says her body is weakening and they think it's best if we would let her rest in peace, but I don't think it's the best option. I believe she can get through this, she just needs the encouragement, so thank you for coming here." Zayn nods, sniffling softly, and running his fingers through his hair.

"May I ask what was it like? The accident."

"It happened just like that. Everything moved in such fast motion. Some of the things I can't even describe because one minute we were driving and then the next we were rolling along the road. Being upside down was scary, I could feel the blood rushing to my head, but when I realized Eulalia wasn't waking up, I knew it was bad."

"I have been in a few accidents with skating, but never in a car. I assume it's the same kind of concept, just with more energy, adrenaline, even shock, if you know what I mean."

I nod my head, shifting in my seat, "have you ever had the experience of almost losing someone? Having that remaining thought if they'll ever make it." He nods his head, "how'd you keep it together?"

"I didn't. When I lost my mother at eight-years-old from stage-four breast cancer, I knew she wasn't going to make it, so I tried to hold it together and pretend like she was only a little sick. When I got home from the hospital, I would cry myself to sleep until my head hurt. The only escapism was using skating, but it only distracted me for a few hours until it hit me again." Zayn pours his story out, and my heart aches over each line.

Realizing he was only eight shows he has gone through something tragic, something he will never forget, and will never be able to see his mother again.