Chapter 8

A N T O N I O

"What the fuck are you thinking bringing that little girl here?" Romeo yells at me for the second time today.

"She's my daughter, I can't just let her stay on the streets." I say irritation in my tone from all of his complaining.

"It's not like I'm asking you to take care of her."

"Maybe not, but we still have to protect her." He continues even though I'm gritting my teeth from anger. I can protect her myself without any help. He should know that by now.

"It's your choice, if you decide you want to know her go ahead but until then don't disrespect her or me." I get up without any hesitation to warn him.

More like threaten him.

"Never under any circumstances will you disrespect max or make her feel unwanted. Got it little brother?" I don't bother whispering because I can hear Max's laughter. At least my other two brothers are being friendly.

He nods, but I can see him clenching his fists. Without another word he leaves the room.

Good, he needs to learn his place.

I'm Max's father and I will not let her go without anything or anyone, if Romeo or anybody else has an issue with it then that's there problem.

I won't let anyone hurt max.

She's my blood.

She's my family.

M A X

Dinner was unusually pleasant, Romeo left thank God but it was boring because the whole time they were talking about business.

Antonio and his brothers all run big hotels and restaurants together, but I feel there's more happening under the surface because more then a few times they speak in Italian.

I don't know any foreign language but they speak it very fluently.

"So max, how old are you again?" Leo looks at me.

"14 but I'll be 15 soon." I say sipping my drink.

"How exciting when is your birthday?" Leo asks me and I can't tell if he's being sarcastic or not.

"June 1st," I answer and all eyes are on me.

"We will have to celebrate them." Antonio smiles at me and I know he means well but the last thing I want to do is celebrate my birthday.

I hate my birthday.

I smile "maybe."

"Well I'm excited, you know Antonio always hated his birthday. He always used to say it was pointless to celebrate." Leo informs me, and I almost show how shocked I am but just give a smile.

I thought the same thing.

After we finished dinner, his brothers left and we were left alone at the table.

"So, may I ask a question?" I really don't like the seating arrangement.

He's at the head of the table while I'm slouching on the other side directly facing him.