Chapter 26

L E O

"Don't wake her up! I need a picture to show Antonio." Matteo practically slaps my hand away when I try to tickle her awake. Yep, my brothers are officially whipped by max, I don't mean it in the romantic way because that would be fucking gross but in a brotherly way.

We all were shocked max existed but she wasn't unwanted.

We all have formed a connection with her, whether she wants to accept it or not.

Romeo rolls his eyes and eats more popcorn, he stole it after max fell asleep and I never got it back.

"Can you guys be quiet? This is the best part of the movie." Romeo is an interesting human, he loves rom-coms but after he always denys it.

To mainly I guess.

Matteo quietly pushes me back while snapping so many pictures of Max snuggled up in her chair, fast asleep while cuddling herself.

I can't deny that she looks peaceful when sleeping.

"Where is Antonio anyway? Wasn't he supposed to be home by now?"

Matteo sighs and stays in his phone not looking at me, this is what he does when he is afraid to tell me something.

"He's busy."

I scoff slightly, "is that what we're calling it now?"

Matteo sends a glare my way when max shuffles in her sleep.

"Keep it quiet." Is all he offers me as he leaves the cinema and on his phone.

Asshole.

Why does everyone do this to me?

They walk around me, like I don't deserve the truth. I don't like the dirty business there mixed into but that doesn't mean I'm completely oblivious to it.

Sometimes I feel bad for max, she's completely in the dark.

It will always stay that way.

A N T O N I O

I curse myself when I miss movie night with Max, my brother informed me that she was asleep and safe so now it was to late.

I got home later then I wanted but the meeting with investors went on longer then normal, not to mention I got an unwelcome visit from the capo of the Russian Mafia.

We aren't enemies but they are wild cards, you never know when they can attack or turn on you.

You have to watch your back.

I wish I would've made time for Max but at least my brothers were there, I thank them everyday for that.

I made Romeo apologize and encourage him to spend time with her.

I was surprised when he didn't resist, but I know he has an underlying agenda.

It's past midnight when I finally get out of the office, when I get a call from Matteo.

"Hey, is there something wrong?" I ask because it's late and Matteo isn't the type to call without a good reason.

There's a beat before, I hear him breath and release it, "I put max to sleep, she's fine and in bed."

"Okay."

"Why do you sound like that then?"

He sighs and I hear a slight frustration in his voice, "you should be here, I just think Max deserves more attention."

I ruffle my hair a little, and release a tired breath.

"I know."

"I'm not beating around the bush Antonio, maybe you should take a break or something."

I shake my head even though I know he can't see me, "I can't there's to much happening. Once we have that treaty with the Russians then maybe."

"Fine but don't say I didn't warn you."

He hangs up before I can process the sentence.

Matteo is getting attached, I can tell he really cares about Max.

As much as it warms my heart it also makes me a little frustrated, I'm her father not him.

Fuck, max has us wrapped around her finger and she doesn't even know it.

I don't even know how she feels, how she thinks. Matteo might have a point.

I'm all talk and no action because I do want to know max, I'm also a little afraid of her knowing me.

Will she hate me if she finds out what I've done? I can't let her know.

I couldn't take it.