Chapter 17

M A X

It was midnight when Antonio finally came through the doors, I attempted to sleep but it was useless I knew I was in for it.

I was in deep shit.

No way around it.

I take a deep breath waiting for the cursing and yelling to start but he doesn't even spare me a glance as he walks past me into his room.

My eyes follow him but I can't find the courage to get up from the couch.

He was giving me the silent treatment?

I suppose I deserve it but he could have at least given me a look, a nod, a lecture.

A glare? Anything to show how much I hurt him. He acts as if I didn't even exist.

It stung a little but I deserve it.

I deserve everything that's coming to me, my uncles caught me red handed lucky they came after josh left.

There's no way I'll be able to explain who he is to them without instilling a fight. So I stay on the couch and wait for Antonio to yell at me, pathetic I know but someone like him will eventually explode.

"Max you should get some sleep." He says and walks past me again, going to the kitchen.

I sigh and follow behind him, "I know what I did was wrong and I'm sorry but please just talk to me, or yell anything but I can't handle the silence."

I don't even care that my voice sounds pleading, I can't stand the way his eyes look at me with little to no emotion.

"Max I can't, I don't know what happened or why but I won't let you steal from this house."

"I tried to be nice and give you time to adjust but I won't have you disrespect me like this."

I nod accepting his words, he's right- I ruined my chance all for a boy.

"I'll pay you back... somehow."

He sighs, "your right, you will but not by stealing and lieing."

"Your going to be working with Leo at one of our restaurants."

"Leo is not there to be your friend, he's your uncle and there to keep an eye on you," He says sternly.

I gulp slightly, I'm worried about work it's crazy that I'm worried about whether I can do it or not when I've done worse but I don't have a choice in this matter.

"I will do it, I promise Antonio I'll make it up and pay you back."

He nods and huffs, it must be a guy thing because he still seemed angry not that I'm one to judge.

I was a street rat who just stole his things.

"I just have one question who did you give my things away to?"

My breathing catches but I'm not surprised, I should have better prepared for this.

No going back now.

"I- I lost it.." I reply softly but my voice trembles as I lie to him one last time.

"Someone came and stole the things from me...I didn't fight back because they were too strong." It's such a stupid excuse and I'm afraid of his reactions.

He takes a breath, like it's his last.

I can't tell if he actually believes me but he nods.

He looks at me like he wants to say something but just sighs and walks away.

I can't figure him out, he's so mysterious and really doesn't show his emotions. I can't understand him and I wonder if that's the point he's trying to make.

I'm not the boss, he's my father. As much as I'm scared at the prospect of a family it's exciting to start a new life.

To start over somewhere. Somewhere that isn't on the streets or in an orphanage.

I get a second chance to do things right.

I won't let it slip.

I'll do anything to be apart of Antonio's family. Leo already likes me, I think Matteo likes me at least he doesn't dislike me. Romeo might be hard to get through but it's not something that will stop me.

I will get him to like me.

My spirit is high and for once in my life I actually feel...  Hopeful.

Hope

It's a rare thing in my life.

I refuse to let it go.