Chapter 11

M A X

I'm exhausted, after a whole day of shopping with Leo.

I need rest. The boy sure loved shopping but I have a feeling Antonio has other plans.

When we get home he directs me to a new room in the house, his office.

This is the moment, going to school and slowly becoming a normal kid.

Was I really normal? The answer is no, I will never be normal.

"Max come on I want to talk to you." Antonio urges me to sit down across from him. I reluctantly sit down.

"I'm sorry about Leo, he often takes advantage of a shopping trip." I smile Leo definitely did like shopping but I didn't mind, it took the attention away from me.

"It's ok, I had fun. Am I in trouble?" I ask nervously.

His face turns serious and shit I should have kept my mouth shut, maybe I was wrong about the school thing, maybe he just wants to get ride of me.

"I looked into the boy and I dont like what I found."

Oh no, it's about josh again I knew this would happen eventually but I'm not prepared.

He grabs some papers out of his desk, "I found some very interesting things. Like how you both escaped the orphanage together, and there's recordings of you two."

I gulp silently "r-records."

He sighs "police records."

I nod "I'm sorry, we were on the streets and there was no other options." I try to explain as I'm fiddling with my fingers under the table.

"We had to steal and-"

He stops me "I know max, listen I'm not trying to scare you but I will be setting more rules."

I nod for him to continue, my original plan was to get out of here but now I'm not sure that's really what I want.

I'm confused, I don't really know what I want.

"First, if you ever see this boy again you need to inform me. If you don't there will be consequences for him and you."

He paused for my response.

When I give a nod he continues.

"Second, I don't want you to have boyfriends your only 14 and it's way to young to be dating."

"Third, when you start school tomorrow I expect a good effort, you don't need to have the best grades but I do appreciate if you try your best."

I nod again, I'm not sure how good I'll be at school but I will try.

"It's not a rule but a request from me, I hope you always come to me when you need help and don't be afraid to call me dad, if you want to." He says looking at me he sounded almost hopeful but still with his serious face.

I nod slightly "I- I promise I'll follow all your rules but I don't think I'm comfortable with calling you dad yet."

He sighs "alright I understand."

I think we're at an agreement but he still looked tense, I need to do something so I put my hand out in a business manner.

He laughs slightly looking at me and my hand out.

I just offer a smile, "it's to seal the deal."

He smiles back and an unusual feeling washed over me, I feel proud of myself.

He takes my hand as gently as he can shaking it.

"It's a deal."

I guess I can't leave now.

We've made a deal and I don't break my promises or my deals.