Chapter 21

M A X

The end of school comes fast which I'm greatful for, there's not a lot of people waiting for rides which makes me smile as I walk further down the side walk to look for Antonio.

I continue to walk but I pause when I hear sniffling and some cries as I pass by the school.

I want to walk away, I want to pretend I didn't hear anything but the deep breaths notify me that it's a boy, there's a boy crying somewhere.

Despite my instincts, I walk closer and there's Scott he has red eyes and is wearing his normal clothes except there's a bruise on his cheek.

Did someone hurt him?

I walk closer, silently and just to observe for a little bit until I can think of the words to say to comfort him.

I can't think of a single thing to say. I don't have a choice when he looks up at me with a shocked expression.

His lip wobbles and he looks away, I can't tell if he's embarrassed or not but I imagine he wouldn't want to see me anyway.

This is a awkward moment for both of us, it's probably a wrong thing to say but I've never seen a guy cry.

Josh never let me see him vulnerable, sure we talked but never about our feelings. I was told for most of my life to suppress emotions so I have no experience with this.

I sit down beside him like before and stay silent this time.

"I'm sorry." Scott speaks first still not looking at me and wiping his eyes.

I don't know what to say to that, I should be the one apologizing but yet I stay silent. I don't want to interrupt him this time.

"I-i just.. nevermind."

"I didn't want to make you uncomfortable but I've been having a bad day."

When he's done getting himself together he looks at me and I feel a knife through my heart, it slide in so easily, it startled me.

He looks so defeated, it's so different from the smile I'm used to seeing on his face. From the moment we met he had a certain charm but you'll never hear me say it out loud.

"You didn't, I'm sorry too about earlier I just don't know how to handle people sometimes..." I say awkwardly as I finally look away and look at the sky.

"I know this is weird for both of us but what happened?"

He sighs and also pays attention to the sky, "I tried out for the football team but it didn't go very well."

I can't help but glance at him, now that we are closer I can see the bruise better, It's just below his eyes, small but still noticeable. I also notice his blue eyes so blue that they match the sky, so pretty like water shinning.

"They told me I was to small and I got a pretty bad tackle, funny because I also got hit in the face with a football."

He looks back at me again with another grin and his teasing nature is back, "I guess it's karma."

I smile slightly remembering how we met.

"Maybe but at least you tried. That's the important thing right?"

I try to lighten the mood and it worked, he lets out a laugh.

Still his eyes lock on to mine.

"Yeah, I just really wanted this. My mom bought me a lot of stuff and I don't want to disappoint her."