Chapter 14

A N T O N I O

Max hadn't said a word while we were in the car or when we got home or when we had dinner.

I wasn't a patient person and I need to know what caused the panic attack.

The only way to get better is to face the problem head on.

My father would always tell me this, I was forced to confront my demons by myself, rather than going to someone and talking it out.

Face it like a man.

I'm not sure I want to use this method for max but I do know I want her to talk to me.

You can be strong and empathic at the same time. My father wouldn't be proud to know I'm changing his rules but max is different.

I want her to be different.

My legs finally move towards her room when I halt at her door, there's no sound so I knock on it gently.

"Max, can I come in? I think we should talk."

There's some shuffling and then her voice, "no I'm trying to sleep. Just go away."

I take a breath, give her space you just need to give her the space to understand what happened.

I can't.

I want to, god I really want to but I'm tired of playing the long game I just want to be close to my daughter.

I need her to know that I'm not going anywhere whether she likes it or not.

I open the door

"Max." I look for her but she's not on the bed or anything so I look into the bathroom.

Only I don't expect what I see.

Max is on the floor crying her eyes out.

"Just please go away." She sniffles as her whole body shakes with sobs.

I sigh and crouch down beside her. She's not gonna budge so I'm not gonna push her but I won't leave her alone.

"Max, I know school seems hard sometimes but-"

"It's not about school." She says cutting me off.

I look at her with confusion before I just sit there silently.

Her tears eventually stop but when I look at her, I know that she's still upset.

I may be an Italian don but I know how to comfort my family so I hug her making her lay her head on my chest.

"It's okay Max."

"Everything will be okay." I say rubbing her hair and she eventually gives in, hugging me back.

"I hope so," she says silently but I can hear a tremble in her voice.

"Will you talk to me about it?" I ask not wanting to push but if she doesn't start talking I'll have to find out on my own.

I don't want to invade her privacy but I can't help her if she doesn't talk to me.

"Antonio? Why do people hurt you?" She asks me.

Hurt? Someone hurt max?

"Sometimes people do bad things but it doesn't make them bad people."

I'm being honest when I say this. I have to put my anger aside and keep a clear head while I'm talking to max.