Chapter 35

A N T O N I O

Meeting after meeting passing by in slow motion, I'd rather be with my daughter eating dinner but here I am pretending to listen.

I'm so bored, but it's the last one hopefully. I'd much rather be with Matteo and Romeo dealing with our enemies in Italy but being a father is a big responsibility and I have to be there for her, it's more important then anything else.

It's a change I have to get used to, that I can no longer put myself in the eye of danger.

I can no longer take the same risks I used to, I know my brothers would be there for her if I did end up dying but it's not something I want.

I'm here father and she needs me.

No one else can replace me, I hope at least.

M A X

"I don't get it." I huff as Scott offers a small smile, "don't worry you will."

I nod and sigh "why is math so hard?"

He smiles and shrugs, "it's not just the way your looking at it."

"So your saying I'm the problem?" I ask raising a brow as I sigh.

"No of course not, you just should look at it differently, I'll show you."

I reluctantly nod and he shows me how to.

"See you got it, just need some of your best friends guidance." He teases me slightly and I laugh.

"Best friend?"

He nods and smiles, a sheepish one at that.

"Well I was hoping.."

"But since you don't want to..." He fakes a frown and gives those weird puppy eyes, however it's giving the opposite effect. I find his eyes captivating when they sparkle like that.

A strange sensation takes over as I feel my cheeks and face heat up, what is going on with me?

I smile and force myself to swallow down the feeling, "well you can be my best friend but there are requirements."

I decide to tease back as his smile grows from my response, "and what's that?"

"You have to help me on any homework."

He laughs slightly and nods, but I don't know why I'm getting the sense of a little disappointment, "that won't be a problem."

"I like helping you."

"Just me?" I ask a little curious.

He nods and smiles, "of course just you, in case you haven't noticed I'm not very popular here."

He laughs slightly, "in fact I was so relieved when Leo introduced us, he's the only friend I've made since I got to this school."

I look at him in surprise, I didn't expect for him to say that.

"But you play sports right? Doesn't that attematicaly make you popular in school?"

He smiles and sighs, "I try to play, I technically haven't gotten on a team yet."

I smile and nod, "well I have faith you will."

He smiles back at me, dimples I didn't know he had showing, "thanks, and I have faith you will nail the next math test."

I laugh slightly, "that would take a miracle."

He smiles and shakes his head, "no just gonna be some hard work."

I nod "yeah I know."

He smiles and brings me close, "don't worry your smart, it will be a piece of cake."

I smile and nod but feel my pulse quicken up until he leans back and creates space between us again.

"Actually I'm kinda craving a piece of cake, want to grab something to eat after this?"

I sigh and shake my head "no sorry Leo is picking me up soon."

He nods and smiles, "it's ok we can another time."

I nod and we pick up where we left off with.

I just hope I'm not catching feelings for Scott because every time he's close I feel butterfly's in my stomach.

I'm trying to focus on school, not boys and Scott is not the exception.