Chapter 23

L E O N A R D O

Something is off, Scott hasn't returned any of my calls and now Max is missing. Obviously I can't call Antonio because he already thinks I'm irresponsible and if I told him I couldn't find max in school he would never trust me again.

Antonio is in his office again as usual he wants me to stay out of trouble, he wants me to be nice, blah blah blah.

I couldn't help it, when I found out what that kid did to Scott, I couldn't hold back.

Bullying is one thing I hate, sure I used to be one but I've changed. I found my way and started helping others who have been bullied which includes Scott, of course I didn't tell max mostly because he begged me not to tell her.

I feel like Scott just wants to be normal, he tried every sport known to humans like football and let's just say it's not for him.

He really wanted it too.

I tried to help him but some sports aren't for everyone, he could always try baseball or basketball but he insisted on football.

I only hope that he is strong enough to keep trying, not let those assholes bring him down.

I also hope I didn't make a huge mistake by introducing Max to Scott considering what I know about Max's past, I'm sure max won't go down that path again.

M A X

"Where are we going Scott?" I say as he drags me across the school yard. It was almost the end of the day so I had no problem with skipping one class. However, I was surprised when Scott suggested it.

He seemed like the "break no rules" type.

I should really stop judging people if I ever want to make friends other than Scott.

Wait, no, I do not consider Scott a friend just a close acquaintance who is now taking me away to I don't know where.

He laughs slightly, still pulling me further away from the school.

"I'm going to show you why I want to do football so badly." I look at him in question but he keeps pulling me away and we run.

When we finally slow down I can't help but stare, "wow" I let out a small gasp. I knew this school was big but holy.

The football field is huge, lots of green fresh grass, lots of stands that all of the school could easily fill. Everything looked so clean and polished it surprised me the most.

"I know right," Scott smirks back at me as we both look around and take in the large field.

"I wish I would've gotten on the team, just the thought of people cheering for you, the adrenaline pumping through your veins as you make a touchdown. I can just imagine."

I look back at him again, I notice the distant but awe look in his eyes.

He's spilling out in happiness at the sight of the field. Just when I'm starting to get lost in the moment he turns back to me, "so do you see how amazing it is?"

"Mh not really."

He laughs slightly, "yeah I figured sports isn't your thing."

I laugh along with him but can't help but nod, can't disagree on that one.

"Definitely not but really why do you wanna play football so bad?" I can't help but ask, my curiousity has gotten the best of me.

He frowns ever so slightly and looks at the ground beneath us, kicking up the dirt a little but he can't look me in the eyes.

"I- honestly I just want my mom to be proud of me, my dad used to play and after he died my mom really pushed me to try."

"I don't know football is just important to me and my family."

I sigh and slightly understand, except I'm still confused. I understand wanting to please your family but I don't know why he wants to play.

"I understand the desire to please your mom but what's your reasoning for playing football?"

He looks at me with a raised eyebrow, "what do you mean?"

"Like why do you want to play? What drives you?" I ask more carefully.

"Mh, that's a good question." He looks back at the field, he becomes quite again and then smiles out of nowhere.

"I guess, I want to feel proud of myself."

I nod, "how do you know that it's football that will make you feel that way?"

I'm curious and I have no idea why but Scott looks so happy, confused and really in thought about my questions.

I see so many emotions running through his eyes but he's silent, until he takes my hand and directs me up to the stands where we sit and stare out in the distance.

The field looks bigger from up here.

"I just want to feel something, like a rush." He sighs and leans back putting his weight back on his elbows.

"Its hard to explain but whenever I think about playing football it gives me a certain exciting feeling that I've never felt before, I just want to hold on to that feeling."

I smile a little, our eyes meet, "like adrenaline? I get it."

I nod slightly and he smiles back.

We keep eye contact as he opens his mouth to speak again but there's a distant loud voice that yells behind us before he gets the chance.

"Hey fuck-face!"