Kabanata 12

XIBEL couldn't count the times he looked at the four corners of his house just so he couldn't meet the gaze of the woman sitting opposite to his seat. If only Imris didn't ask him to allow this woman inside their house, he already threw her out.

Nilingon niya si Imris na katabi ng babae at kinakausap ito. Bakas sa mukha nito ang saya.

"Ate, thank you po pala sa tinapay kahapon. Super yumyum!" Tinaas nito ang dalawang braso sa tuwa.

Napangiti naman ang babae at ginulo ang buhok nito.

He scrunched up his nose. He wasn't pleased seeing that hand touching his daughter.

"Imris, get inside your room and play with Elia," utos niya.

"Okay!" Mabilis naman itong sumunod at tumakbo paakyat.

Ngayon, sila na lang dalawa ang natira.

Napaayos ito ng umupo at tumikhim. "I'm sorry for butting in earlier. I was--"

"Why did you come again? Am I not clear in telling you not to show your face again to me?" He crossed his arms, his fingers slowly tapping his elbow.

Napalunok naman ito pero nanatiling kalmado ang mukha nito. She raised her head with no fear as if she owned the place. The confident look on her face burned an intense annoyance inside his stomach. Her touch was too fresh yesterday, making him feel like vomitting again.

"As much as I don't want to see you again, I can't help myself. I caused a ruckus yesterday at nadawit ko kayong dalawa ng anak mo. Dahil kilala ako, mabilis ding kumalat sa masa ang sinabi ko." Kinuha nito sa bag ang cellphone at pinakita sa kaniya ang isang litrato. Litrato niya at ni Imris kahapon kasama ang babae. "This is spreading across the country already. You are now linked as my husband, and Imris as my daughter."

A shiver ran down his spine after hearing those words. His fingers tapping on his skin intensified. He didn't like the sound of what she said. It just meant that thousands of people have known his existence . . . and his face. Although he was a famous villain, he had never seen his own face scattered around places.

And it was scary. It was scaring him. He didn't want people looking at him.

"I was actually thinking of a way not to involve you into this mess anymore but . . ." Pinasadahan siya nito ng tingin. "But what I saw today is quite unexpected. Hindi mo pala anak si Imris. You stole her from the orphanage."

"What do you care?" Umiwas siya ng tingin lalo na't sumilid sa labi nito ang maliit na ngiti. Pakiramdam niya'y may binabalak itong hindi maganda.

"At mukhang wala kang alam kung paano mag-adopt. You were eager to keep Imris, so I helped you. But that will not be free."

He glared at her. He was right. Women would always be opportunistic. "Whatever you're planning, if it endangers me and my daughter, I will hunt you down and bury you on the deepest grave."

"This will be both beneficial to us, don't worry. I'll help Imris stay with you in exchange that you will act as--"

"Your husband?" He cut her off.

Tumango naman ang babae.

His forehead creased. The idea is giving him goosebumps. It felt like he had heard this somewhere . . . from a villain.

"How can this be beneficial for the both of us? And why do you want a husband so bad?" Kulang na lang tumalikod na siya sa babae dahil sa sobrang tagilid ng katawan niya. Ayaw niya itong harapin. Her very whole existence disgust him.

"Like I said, tutulungan kita sa adoption process ni Imris. You won't need to argue with that elder from the orphanage again kasi ako na ang bahala sa proseso." Bumuntonghininga ito. "And to answer your question, I actually just want to stop the rumors going on around me. Napapagod na rin ako kakarinig na may anak daw ako. I don't even know where the hell did they get that from. Bawat interview, hindi nawawala ang tanong na 'yan. It would have been fine if it just all about that, but the more I let this rumor slip, the more it's starting to get out of hand. Lahat na lang ng nakakausap kong lalaki ay ni-li-link na asawa ko. They are also posting picture na hindi sana malicious but they made it look like it is. Look!"