Kabanata 17

XIBEL woke up with a heavy head. If only Imris wasn't knocking on the door, he wouldn't go out of bed.

Naglakad na siya palabas at binuksan ang pinto.

"Good morning, Papa!" Tinaas nito ang dalawang kamay na kaagad naman niyang kinarga.

"What good can you see, Imris?" He rolled his eyes and walked down the stairs.

Pinagmasdan siya ni Imris dahilan para magtaka siya. Tumigil muna siya sa paglalakad at sinalubong ang mga tingin nito. "What?"

"Is Papa not okay? You look sad." Nag-aalala ang mga mata nito. Bigla nitong hinawakan ang kaniyang noo upang ikumpara sa temperatura na mayroon ito. "You're not sick, Papa. Why are you sad?"

"I'm not sad. This is just how I look."

"No!" Mabilis itong umiling. Sinundot-sundot nito ang kaniyang pisngi. "Papa is frowning all the time but today, it's different."

"What is different?"

Imris touched the skin below his left eye. "It's dark, Papa. It's like you are very sad."

His gaze softened when she started caressing his cheek. The soft little palm was patting him with the utmost care. It was gentle as though telling him everything was okay.

"Don't be sad, Papa. Imris is always here for you." Niyakap siya nito. Imris rested her head on his shoulder while the hands never stopped patting his cheek.

A small chuckle let out from his mouth before continuing to walk down. This child was never any of the children he met in Fort Galron. She never faltered nor even took a step back even if she was faced by this hideous monster she was calling as a father.

She was trying to make his heart warm again, making him remember the days she used to adore the humans.

He landed a kiss on top of her thick, black hair. "Did you have a good sleep, Imris?"

Mabilis naman itong tumango. "Hm-hmm! I dreamed about a ballerina, Papa. I was dancing!"

"You are really fond of this dancing thing, huh?" Nagtungo sila papunta sa kusina para mag-umagahan. Naabutan nila si Stone na hinahanda na ang kanilang pagkain.

"Yes! I want to be like Mama!"

Napakunot naman kaagad ang kaniyang noo. The image of that crying woman last night rolled inside his head again. How she slapped and reminded him that he was a monster circulated around his mind. It was still too early to get another attack.

"Papa, try this!"

Napunta ang tingin niya kay Imris na nasa kaniyang tabi. May hawak itong tinidor. At sa dulo nito ay isang kamatis.

Napangiwi naman siya at bahagyang tinulak ang tinidor. "No. I do not like that."

"It's yum-yum!"

"No, it is not." Nagsimula na siyang kumain. Inalis niya lahat ng kamatis na nilagay sa itlog dahil hindi niyo gusto ang lasa nito.

"Try it, Papa."

"No."

"Please?"

"Not a chance, Imris." Hindi niya nilingon si Imris dahil paniguradong hindi na naman niya matitiis ang pagmumukha nito. The silly litte human already had accessed to his soft spot, he had to be careful or else he would give in to everything she says.

"Hmp! Okay." Sumuko naman kaagad ito. "Ikaw na lang, Uncle Arator."

Sinulyapan niya naman ang dalawa. Pinanood niya kung paano subuan ni Imris si Arator. Tuwang-tuwa ang mukha nito dahil tinanggap ng kaniyang alagad ang kamatis.