17: The wedding

By now, Melody was already dressed and ready. Her hair was gelled to one side of her head. She had her bag and shoes to match the dress she was wearing and a little balm of lip gloss and powder.

    Even without makeup, she looked exquisitely beautiful but she was sure April would disagree. Nevertheless, she went downstairs to meet the familiar person waiting for her, in the car.

    And just when she was outside the dorm, a few feet away from the car, ignoring the curious looks from onlookers and passers-by, she burst out into a squeal.

    "April!" She's been excited all through the morning and she couldn't conceal it now, no not now.

   April rolled down the car window from inside by pushing a button, and smiled broadly at Melody.  "Babes!" Then she looked her over. "Check you out." She grinned.

    Melody chuckled. "Thanks. So what are you doing in a car like this?" She glanced at the driver to see his face but she couldn't, clearly.

    "Oh, Damian hired him to take us to the wedding. It's much safer that way. That's what he said." Then she nodded at the driver. "That's Cortex"

   Melody heard a deep, growl-like voice in return. "Ma'am", and she instantly knew, he was an army. Of course!

    "Come in, come in." April opened the car door and gestured for her to come in.

    "Uhhh." Melody was uncertain if she could face Damian after yesterday. She wanted to decline riding in his own car by one of his men. "I think I'll do better with a taxi"

    "Melody, don't be silly now. You don't know where it's being held at." April rolled her eyes.

   Melody noticed that the driver was being awfully patient about this. "I do. Carla told us, remember?"

   "We're no more holding it there." Then April smiled again. "Damian decided to let them hold it at his island"

   Melody became confused. Did she hear right? "His island?"

    "Yes. Now come in, let me explain along the way"

   Melody hesitated for a little while before she obliged. She got in, and shut the door.

   This was a cue for Cortex to drive, and boy, did he do it fast. Melody imagined him as a 3D movie character in a police pursuit. Cool stuff.

   "Damian has an island?" Melody turned her attention back to April, looking into her happy, excited eyes.

  "Yeah." She nodded vigorously. "He bought it whole, from the elders of that place, few years ago and now it's his. It's located after the bermuda trench. Not too long from here"

   "Not too long from here? That's a five hours drive, bearing free traffic"

   "Then if there's traffic, it's 10! I know right?" But April didn't seem bothered. "Gosh, he's so affluent. Do you know how much an island cost?"

   "That's why I'm still shocked." She was. Like she really was. Was that even possible? Buying an island. Bearing the kind of business man he was, she wasn't supposed to be surprised, but she was.

   "But I don't care. He believes it's all for our protection. To have a smooth wedding as planned. He has all his men guarding the borders. Can you imagine!" April laughed hysterically. "That's so amazing!"

   Melody frowned at her. "Did you drink or something?" She was behaving hysteric.

    "No, I didn't. I shouldn't do so if I want to please God, so I didn't. I'm just being too enthusiastic about this whole thing. The excitement is just too much to control"