Chpt 31: Reconvening

We all took a ship to Driftmark as soon as the news hit my ear. The children were reluctant to leave at first until they heard what had happened. The journey was quiet. No one truly knew what to say. I did not know what to say.

Once we began getting closer to Driftmark, the nerves in my stomach began to set in. I remembered i would be seeing my estranged family. I have not spoken nor written to them in years. They did not try to speak with me, so why should i?

I felt someone creep up beside me as i tried to keep my head held high. Cregan sighed before he spoke. "You are nervous" he said. "I am not nervous" i snapped. "You are also a terrible liar."

"And you are a terrible reader because i am not nervous" i said. "Then what are you?" he asked. "I am ready to get this over with. I will say my goodbyes to Laena, comfort my sisters, and then we will leave as soon as possible before anything can happen."

He put his cold hand over mine trying to give me comfort. "Nothing will happen. I won't allow anything to happen. You shall grieve in peace and none of your family will give you any trouble, alright?"

I slowly turned to him and gave him a small nod. "And what of the children? You know just as well as i do that they will find a way to get into trouble. I wouldn't be surprised if someone lost a leg during this trip. Or an eye even!" i exclaimed.

He laughed quietly pulling me closer to him. "No one will loose a limb. Well... Not an important one anyway" he joked. I couldn't help but laugh at his joke. "I'll keep the children close. Plus, you'll get to see your cousin. You like her. I'm sure that is something to look forward too."

"Yes... If her family hasn't poisoned her against me" i mumbled. "You must stop worrying. If you don't, you might give birth to an angry dragon" he said. I felt my stomach trying to calm myself. The maesters warned me to not stress because it would be bad for the babe.

"We're almost here, lady" one of the men called out. Cregan and i both looked out across the sea as we spotted Driftmark. I bit my tongue anxiously. "Remember, you are the lady of Winterfell now. Your family can not treat you as they did" Cregan whispered.

We stepped off the boat and made our way to Driftmark castle. It was larger than i remembered. The last time i was here, Corlys, Laenas father, brought me out on one of his many ships along with my sisters. Corlys and his wife Rhaenys were always kind to me. This makes all of this so much harder.

I was fortunate enough to avoid my family until the funeral. When the funeral commenced, i spotted my two sisters standing with Corlys and Rhaenys. I felt chest tighten when i saw their puffy, red eyes.

"Best behaviour today. Do you all hear me?" i whispered to the children. They all silently nodded as i made my way towards my sisters. "Sisters" i mumbled. They both turned their heads and ran over to me.

I knelt down to their height, taking them both in my arms. "We didn't know if you would come" Baela said holding me tightly. "Of course i came" i said to both of them with my eyes swelling with tears.

"I don't want mother to be gone" Rhaena said. "I know... I know" i said squeezing her tightly. Of course, i did not know their pain. When my mother died, it was one of my most happiest days. But i know Laena and my sister's relationship was different.

I hoped my children would not feel this pain for a long, long time. "Lady Alysanne" a familiar voice spoke. I looked up to see Rhaenys with a black vale covering her face. "Rhaenys... I'm... I'm so sorry for your loss" i said standing up.

She gave me a weak yet thankful smile. "We have not seen you in court for many moons. Why is that?" Corlys asked standing close by his wife. I gulped slightly at his words. Cregan put a hand on my shoulder as he came up behind me.