Chpt 33: In The Dark

It was surprisingly cold at Driftmark. Even colder than the North. But that could just be myself. It's been two days since... The incident. Unfortunately, there has been a storm so no boats are able to take any of us home.

The greens have stayed in their quarters whilst the blacks have stayed in theirs. I thought about visiting prince Aemond to see if he was alright, but then i remembered he is the reason my son has still not woken up.

I sat in the chair beside his bed whilst Lyarra was sitting at the bottom of Ned's bed, staring at him blankly. Serena was cross stitching a hound just like Neds dog from home for when he wakes up whilst Rickon was asleep on my lap.

Cregan on the other hand was sitting in Ned's bed, holding him closely. He was resting his head against his as the maesters were still trying to figure out what was wrong with him. I wiped my tired eyes as i noticed Lyarras head falling up and down as she tried to stay awake.

"I think it's best if you bring the children back to our chambers" i said catching Cregans hand. He jolted up as i touched him. "No, no... I should stay" he said. "I'll stay. You go... I don't want them alone here."

He sighed as he nodded. He picked Rickon up into his arms as Serena kissed my cheek. "That means you too, sweet girl. You need some rest" i said to Lyarra. "I want to stay" she said. "You can get some sleep and then come see him. You'll be of no use to him when he wakes up if you are tired" i said.

She paused before reluctantly agreeing. "You'll tell me immediately when he wakes up, won't you?" she questioned. "Of course i will" i said. She kissed my cheek gently before following everyone out of the room.

"Your grace, i think it would be best if you got some rest too" one of the maesters said. I shook my head. "I am fine" i said. "It's been two days miss... We will wake you if anything changes."

"I will not leave my son alone. I will not sleep until he wakes" i snapped. They all hung their heads and continued tending to him. I stared at Ned who still laid lifeless. His breathing was weak and his eyes still open. I brushed my thumb against his cold hand trying to comfort him if there was any part of him conscious.

Cregan stayed by my side for the day, but the other children were getting worried. They wanted to go home more than any of us. So i made him tend to them. Though i have to admit, i felt myself growing more and more tired, but my mind would not let me sleep.

Suddenly, i heard a weak knock at the door. I turned my head to see Helaena, standing in the door way with her head hung. "May i see him?" she asked. "Leave the room" i said to the maesters as they all left.

Helaena closed the door behind them as they all walked out. She hesitated before sharing the chair i sat in. "You shouldn't be here" i said giving her a weak smile. "I know... Mother thinks i am reading."

"Your more rebellious than i thought" i said. She laughed softly. It then occurred to me, Helaena was smarter than she looked. Perhaps smarter than all her family in one way. She always knew what was going to happen before it happened.

"Helaena" i said turning to her. Her head shot up with an innocent smile. "Do you... Do you know if my son will wake from whatever sleep he is in?" i asked. Her smile faltered slightly before she turned to Ned. She grabbed his hand gently as she stayed quiet.

"My brother eye is gone forever... But he will grow stronger. Your son will wake and his mind will grow stronger" she mumbled. I nodded, not truly understanding her meaning. "Alright... And... Do you know how i can wake him?" i asked.

"He needs the comforts of home. Though he can not be there, but there is other ways you can bring home to him" she said. I embraced the girl tightly. "You truly are special, do you know that?"