Chpt 41: Dragons And War

Lyarra peered into her mothers chambers, trying to be as quiet as she could. She saw her mother silently crying in her fathers arms. "The children can not see me like this. They must stay strong" she said. "They will. You know they will" Cregan whispered to her.

Lyarra felt saddened for her mother... But she also felt a fiery rage boil her blood. She hated that her mother was suffering because of those bastard greens. She wanted vengeance for her unborn brother, for her mourning parents and for her dragon queen, who is left without a throne.

She leant her head against the door as she saw Jacaerys make his way towards her. "Are you alright?" he asked. She shook her head. "I am leaving" she said storming passed him. Jace frantically followed her in a panic. "What do you mean your leaving?!" he exclaimed.

Lyarra shoved him up against the wall putting her hand to his mouth to keep him quiet. "Keep your voice down. No one is to know, especially my mother and father" she whispered. He shook his head. "If i take my hand away, you promise you will not shout?" she asked.

He paused before reluctantly nodding. She slowly took her hand away as Jace gave her a furious look. "Where in the seven hells are you going?" he snapped through gritted teeth. "There is a war coming. I know you feel it too. If i want to survive this war, if i want to fight for your mother... I will need a dragon."

His eyes widened. "Dragonstone has an island not far from here with wild dragons. I will sail there" she said. "You can not go there alone. They will burn you before you can speak" he said. "I have to try!" she said trying to keep quiet. He kept quiet, holding his tongue.

Her eyes had a hint of sadness in them. She was desperate. She was the only one in her family who did not hatch a dragon and it was getting to her... More now then ever. Lyarra sighed. "Now if you shall excuse me... I believe you should go meet with your betrothed-"

"I am coming with you" he said walking beside her. "No you are not" she said with a scoff. "Listen, i have a dragon. You do not. We need to get there quick and if it goes badly, which it will, we will need to flee there quick" he said. "I'm coming with Vermax."

Lyarra held his eye hoping he would back down... He did not. "Fine" she mumbled. They both snuck down to Dragonstones dragon pit and mounted Syrax. Lyarra reluctantly wrapped her arms around Jace, still furious with him for coming.

It did not take long before the two spotted a wild dragon fly above their heads. They landed on the small island, cautiously looking around. "We must be careful. These dragons were not born to be claimed. They have never felt the presence of a rider and-"

"I know how this works" Lyarra said interrupting the prince. Jace rolled his eyes as he put on a fake smile. "My grandfather taught me how to claim a dragon when the time comes. And no offence your grace, but i believe he knows dragons a lot more than you do."

"And why is that now?" he questioned. "Because he is a lot smarter than you" she said. Jace gave her a confused look. "You are angry with me" he said. "I am not" Lyarra said with a scoff.

"Yes you are."

"No i am not!"

"Why are you angry?"

"How many times do i have to say it! I am not angry with you!" she shouted. Jace tilted his head cockily. "Well... Now i am because you keep questioning me" she mumbled.

"Have i done something?" he asked. Lyarra sighed tiredly putting her head in her hands. "No" she muttered. "Did i say something?" he asked. "No, Jace, i-"

"Then what is it? You haven't spoken to me for days. And when you do you seem cold. What is it?" he asked again. "Gods Jace! Do you not understand. Your mothers crown has been stolen from her along with my mothers child and you are worried that i haven't been 'kind' to you. Can you be anymore-"