Chpt 40: A Funeral For A Dragon

"Lord Stark!" one of the guards exclaimed seeing Cregan and his children storm through the halls of a Dragonstone. "Not now. Where is my wife?" he asked sternly. "Your wife? I-"

"I saw Saphira outside. Where is she?" he asked once again. "I do not know, my lord" the knight muttered. Cregan pushed passed him, feeling a pain building in the pit of his gut with every step he took.

It was then he saw Daemon, standing by the painted table. He was quiet... He never saw the prince so quiet. In fact, Cregan noticed the whole of Dragonstone was quiet. "Prince Daemon" Cregan said. Daemon did not even bother to turn around.

"Go find Jace and Lucerys. All of you" he whispered to his children. They all reluctantly nodded as they left the room. Cregan held his breath as he took a step closer to the rouge prince. "Where is my wife?" he asked.

"With the silent sisters i presume" he muttered. Cregan felt his heart sink as he tumbled slightly on his feet. He shook his head. "She is alive" Daemon said feeling weak as he hung his head. "But the babe is not."

Cregan was not a weak man. In fact, if you asked the people in Westeros to describe him, they would probably say he is the bravest man who ever lived. But in this moment, he felt weak. He felt afraid.

He was too late for his wife. And too late for his child.

"Where is... My wife?" Cregan asked again, his voice cracking as he spoke. Daemon looked to the lord, with a stern look. He took a step towards Cregan as the lord held his head up high. But to everyone's surprise, Daemon put a hand to his shoulder. "I'll bring you to her."

Cregan followed Daemon through the halls, everyone bowing their heads in solidarity as he passed them. He held his breath as he was met with large metal doors. "She's in there... She is hurt and she is grieving. Be gentle with her and be her strength" Daemon whispered. Cregan did not answer. He took a deep breath making his way inside. He gulped as he saw Alysanne standing at the alter wrapping their child in cloth.

Alysannes pov:

A bond between a child and a mother is one like no other. There is only one person who truly touches your heart, and that is a babe. You grow a child inside you and then raise them to be the best version of yourself.

I told the Silent Sisters i wanted to wrap my son myself. I wanted to make sure he was wrapped with the up most care, not by strangers. I began to wrap the babe gently in my blood stained gown.

In truth, i didn't want to let him go. I smiled softly at the boy until i felt my knees go weak from underneath me. I held him close to me kissing the wrap softly. "Aly" i heard a soft yet familiar voice call out.

I didn't bother looking up. I heard footsteps run towards me as i felt hands wrap themselves around me. "I'm sorry, i'm sorry, i'm here now" Cregan repeated as he kissed my head softly.

I buried my head into him as a quiet sob left my lips. "You didn't get to see him" i muttered. Cregan stayed quiet. "He was beautiful."

We stayed like that for a while. I don't truly know how long. But eventually, Cregan lifted my limp body as i stood to my feet. I held onto him for support still clinging to the babe.

"Who did this?" he mumbled. I took a deep breath putting a hand to my wounded stomach. "The greens have usurped the throne and crowned Aegon as their king. When Rhaenys and i tried to flee Kingslanding i-"

I couldn't finish my words. I shook my head not wanting to remember what happened. "Who did this?" he asked again. "A knight" i said. "Which knight?" he asked getting more frustrated.

"Ser Criston Cole."

Cregan nodded his head before trying to leave the room. "Cregan... Cregan wait" i called out trying to follow him. As i took a step forward, the pain from my wound over took me as i fell to my knees. Cregan heard me fall as he ran back towards me.