Chpt 44: Storms End

"So they crowned the boy? Before the masses?" Lillie questioned still confused by the whole situation. Cregan nodded gripping his sword at the thought.

"Seven hells" Myke mumbled. Cregan took Brandon from his crib and took him into his arms. Edwynn sat idly playing with her toys, eavesdropping on what everyone was speaking of.

"And the small folk just.... Agreed he should be king?" Lille asked. "They don't know what's truly happened. They see a king crowned, so they call him king" Cregan said.

"I knew that boy when i worked at the castle... He was troubled to say the least. His mother and father were to blame for that. The best thing they could have given him was a house of his own with no maids to rule over. Maybe a guard or two and a forest to hunt in. He would be happy there."

"Yes and with no wife" Cregan muttered under his breath. "I believe he only wanted to be king because he thought Rhaenyra would cut down any challenge to her throne. But Alysanne would not let that happen. She adores the princess Helaena. She wouldn't let them be harmed over a bloody iron seat."

"Maybe they still could still swear loyalty to their queen?" Myke suggested. "If given the opportunity, i'm sure Helaena would. Maybe the 'king' too. I'm not so sure about that one eyed prince though. I see it in him. He wants to rule. He craves it... And for that son of theirs who lives in Oldtown, Daeron i believe, well i've never met him so i can't be sure" Cregan said rocking the babe back and forth.

"This whole thing is... Fucked" Myke said. "Hey!" Lillie exclaimed nodding to Edwynn. "Sorry... This whole thing is... Shit" he mumbled. "Not better" she muttered as Edwynn laughed quietly.

"Where is Aly?" Lillie asked as the room fell silent. "Out on another ride i believe" Cregan said stiffly. "She's been absent for a few days now, hasn't she?" Myke mumbled. It seemed everyone in Winterfell was aware of the tension. Not just because of the king and queen, but also the babe that had been lost.

"I am leaving her be" Cregan said gritting his teeth. Edwynn more than anyone had felt the coldness between her mother and father of late. A coldness she had never seen before. At least not to this extent. She did not fully understand the importance of Rhaenyras throne being usurped but she knew something was coming. War perhaps if her grandfather had it his way.

Her mother would always be at her side from the moment she woke and before she slept she would sing the song she had sung to all her older siblings when they were young. But she has not even seen her lately, let alone feel her embrace.

Before anyone could speak another word, a knock on Lillies door echoed the room.  "Come" Lillie called out. Maester Kevan, who seemed out of breath, hurried inside trying to collect himself. Cregan rolled his eyes at the sight of the old mans presence. "My lord... Ser Myke... Lillie" the man said through haggard breaths . "Prince Jacaerys has arrived from Dragonstone."

Cregans face lit up at the news as he placed Brandon into Lillies arms before throwing Edwynn over his shoulder. "Come on and let's go see the aresling" he said. Once they stepped outside, they were immediately met with Jaces dragon, Vermax. He wasn't fully grown yet, but he was large enough to frighten the Northerners.

"You couldn't even wait a moon before you see us again? Miss us too much, arseling?" Cregan teased. Jace rolled his eyes as he brought Cregan into an embrace. "Gods. Do you still have to call me that?"

"I'm just calling you what you are" he said. Edwynn eyed the prince up and down cautious of his reason to be here. "Where is you brother?" Cregan asked. "He's gone to Storms End to treat with lord Borris Baratheon" Jace said as his smile faltered.

"Alright... Then he should come here when he returns" he said. Jace nodded. Rickon and Ned made their way out to the courtyard as they greeted Jace. "I heard the prince of Dragonstone had arrived i just didn't believe it to be true" Rickon teased. "Why are you here?"