Chapter 20

Matt's POV

Okay, good, she'd said I could come over. I got changed and quickly grabbed the box. There really wasn't much in it, it was just an excuse to see her.
I found her place easily enough, it was in one of the blocks near the beach and as I pulled up I looked. It was really fucking nice.
I pressed the buzzer and she let me in. I took a deep breath and headed up the stairs, she was standing at the door and she looked beautiful.
"Hi." I said, smiling at her.
"Come in." She offered, stepping back.
I looked around, the place was amazing. The whole front of the apartment was glass and the view was spectacular.
"Wow, this is really nice." I told her, smiling.
"Yeah it is." She said softly. "Would you like a drink?"
I would like anything that would keep me here longer so I agreed and followed her in to the kitchen.
She'd obviously been in the middle of cooking dinner.
"You're cooking?" I asked her.
"Yeah." She gave me a beer. "I'm making lasagne."
Fuck, she made the best lasagne. "Yum."
"You're welcome to stay."
"I'd love to."
That was a no brainer, of course I wanted to stay, forever preferably.
I sat at the bench, watching her cook and for the first time in weeks I felt relaxed, just being with her made me feel better.
We chatted, not about anything important, just stuff. I asked about work, she asked what I was going to do with my time, I just shrugged when I really should have taken that opportunity to tell her why I was here.
We sat at the bench and ate and I started getting worried. Would she expect me to leave after I'd eaten?
"Do you want to watch a movie?" She suddenly asked me between mouthfuls.
I nodded, of course I did.
I offered to clean up but Jess wouldn't let me, so I sat there, watching her. She looked tired and she'd lost so much weight, I'd also noticed the box of antidepressants sitting on the bench and once again I was ashamed at myself.
"So what do you want to watch?" She asked, turning around and smiling at me.
"I don't mind."
I followed her to the living room and got comfortable on one end of the couch, she got comfortable on the other.
I attempted to watch the movie but I couldn't, I was to busy relaxing. For the first time in a long time I could relax. I was with Jesika and everything felt right again.
I leant back, closing my eyes, I was just so tired. I guess I drifted, because I woke with a start. The screen was blank, the movie finished.
I looked at Jess, she was asleep.
Great, I'd missed my chance to talk to her.
I looked at her, she looked relaxed, beautiful and I wanted her in my arm's.
"Jess." I whispered.
Nothing.
I moved a little closer and rubbed her arm. "Jess."
She opened her eye's and looked at me.
"You fell asleep." I whispered, I didn't mention that I had too. "You go to bed, I'll turn everything off."
"Okay." She mumbled standing up.
I watched her walk into the bedroom then I stood up. I should probably leave but I couldn't, I didn't want to, I wanted to be with her, I needed to sleep with her next to me.
I turned everything off and tiptoed into the room. She was on her side of the bed, sound asleep.
I pulled off my shirt and jeans and climbed in gently next to her.
She hadn't asked me to leave and I never told her I was, I just told her I'd turn everything off.
I rolled over and looked at her, getting comfortable, and I could get comfortable, she was next to me.
"Don't be silly." She whispered.
I smiled, it was time for her sleep talking, and god, I'd missed it so much.
"That's not very nice." She whispered, rubbing her face and I wondered what she was dreaming about.
"Matt, please don't say that."
I guess it was me.
I moved closer to her and rested my hand on her waist.
She grabbed it. "Why?" She whispered.
"Why what?" I whispered back.
She moved her head and squeezed my hand. "Why don't you love me anymore?"
"But I do." I whispered.
"You do?"
God I wished she was awake.
I pulled her into my arm's anyway. "I do." I told her, kissing her forehead.
She sighed and I felt her body relax against me. "Good."
I layed there with her in my arm's waiting for more, but she was done talking.
I closed my eye's. "I love you Jess." I whispered, pulling her closer.
She snuggled in close to my chest.
Now I had her in my arm's, I really wasn't letting go again.