Chapter 2

Same day- 3:00pm

Carolynn- 

"It was nice to get all together here today," I say to my new staff, "I was very careful with who I hired and who would be good to fill each position. Of course, I had alot of help from my agent Ashley." I gesture to her as she's standing next to me while I'm addressing the group. "I look forward getting to know you all better now and hopefully we'll have a great report by the time of our grand opening in a couple weeks. I gave you all my card with my contact info so don't hesitate to contact me if you have any questions. As you know from our interviews, this is all brand new to me, too, so I hope we discover how to run an art gallery together. See you tomorrow!" I wave by as they gradually make their way to the door while chatting amongst themselves.

After they're all gone I turn to Ashley, "How do you think that went, Ash?" I'm hopeful she approves because aside from being my agent she's also been my friend. My dad's law firm represents her agency so that's how we met. She's tall, statuesque black beauty in her early 30s and has a firm but fair attitude and isn't shy about her opinions specifically about art. With Spencer's blessing, Ashley helped me find this spot for my gallery. I didn't want to do it in the City because that's not really the appeal I'm going for. Since I grew up in a small Oregon town before my mom got sick (and that's when my dad came back into our lives and brought us to New York and paid for the best cancer treatment money can buy), so I wanted a quiet and friendly kind of atmosphere. My gallery is just one shop that's apart of a gentrification program in this quaint Jersey town.

"For your first time ever doing this," she replied, "I'd say you did pretty well. Now I do have concerns about a couple of people you hired that I think we should review and since we really don't have a budget thanks to your dad and that handsome fiance of yours, we have the freedom to decide how we will operate this place the way we want to."

"Who do you have concerns about?" I asked, not really expecting that to be one of her critisms.

Ashley's known me long enough to know when I'm being defensive. "I'm not really questioning your judgement of hiring, I'm just a little more experienced with this kind of thing and I may have a higher expectation when it comes to competency and their resumes." She replied, "But we can discuss that tomorrow after we see how things go with them and after you've had some rest after the eventful morning you had." Yes, I told her about my little traffic mishap from this morning.  

"Yeah, thanks for reminding me, Ash.", I say rolling my eyes a little.

"That's what you pay me for." She said with a grin, "I've got to get back to the office but I''l be back here with you tomorrow. Good luck with everything." We shared a goodbye hug and she was off.

This little orientation we put together was a welcome distraction from dealing with my woes from this morning but I guess now it's back to that reality. I need to go back to this Donny guy so we can work out something about the car, I still haven't told Spencer, which is a conversation I've been dreading to have all day. Not to mention, I'm starving, haven't really eaten since I left mine and Spencer's loft this morning; I could use a burger or five.

I head over to the restaurant, Kenny's Burgers it says on the sign, hadn't really noticed until now.

Donny-

I'm in the middle of dealing with a regular but finicky customer ordering a late lunch when I see the girl from earlier walk in.

She walks up to the counter and says, "could we talk for minute please?"

The nerve of this self-entitled trustfund, little daddy's girl, "hey don't you see I'm busy, lady? Wait in line like everyone else if you want to order." Knowing full well that's not why she came here.