Chapter 3

Around 8pm that same day

Carolynn-

I can't put this off anymore I have to call Spencer and tell him about the car. I've been sitting here in my new, nearly empty (the moving truck doesn't come until tomorrow morning all I have is a blow-up air mattress), apartment mulling over when and if I should call him. I've also been thinking about what Kenny told me about Donny, perhaps way more than I thought I should or would. I'm not sure if it even changes anything he was still an ass to me.

But first, I really have to call Spencer so here it goes-

I tell Siri to "call Spencer". **Ring-Ring** After afew more rings he picks up.

"Hey, babe," Spencer answers the phone, "what's up, how's your first day there. I'm so glad you're living your dream, but I miss you already, babe." Whoa this is going to be harder than I thought.

"I miss you too, Spence," I reply while walking out to the side of the building to get better reception, "it was a great first day. I'm really excited about this. But um..."

His tone becomes a little more serious, "But um what, Carolynn? Did something happen?"

"Uh, I guess you can say that," I say cautiously and hesitantly, "I sort of, got into an accident with your car."

Sometimes Spencer can go from zero to a hundred in seconds. This is one of those times. I put the phone on speaker because I know the yelling is coming.

"You what?!" he exclaims, "What happened to the car!? Do you know how much that car cost me?! You're lucky I have good insurance now that I got this promotion from your dad that you know I just got!"

"I'm sorry, Spence-," I begin to say frantically but he cuts me off I begin to feal tears of anguish fall down my cheeks. I hate it when he gets like this because I feel like I've let him down.

"I know you're sorry, babe and sorry I'm sorry I'm yelling, this just caught me by surpise, you know?" he says, "Just please tell me what the damage is to the car and have you gotten an estimate from a mechanic yet?"

"No, I haven't had time to deal with all that yet," I say desparately, "I needed to get to the studio."

"The studio?!," he starts back up again, "I would think under the circumstances you could push that off for a day. You really should've called me right away! So what's the damage on the car and how did it happen?!"

"Spencer, please stop shouting at me," I plead, "you haven't heard the whole story, it's just a small dent."

"How small of a dent!?" He questions.

It wasn't entirely my fault. You see there was someone else-" I begin to say when suddenly I feel a tap on my shoulder. I turn around and I'm a little surprised to see it's Donny. He's motioning to give him the phone at the same time that Spencer is yelling "So you hit someone and it caused a dent!?" I'm flustered and confused and I just hand him my phone, still on speaker.

Donny-

I take the phone from Carolynn and I motion to her that it's ok and it'll only take a minute.

"Hey, Spencer?" I say calmly

"Who's this?" Spencer asks aggressively

"Hi, my name is Donny," I say, "my work is right next to Carolynn's studio. I was riding my bicycle, rushing to get to work, so I crossed against the light and accidently hit your car it's my fault. Don't get mad at Carolynne", she gives me a look of confused appretiation and relief. "You don't have to worry, I'm taking care of everything. I have a buddy that has a shop that's really good. You don't have to get your insurance involved tell them you're not at fault."

We hear Spencer let out a sigh of relief, "Ok, thank you for telling me that. Donny, was it? You're a good man for owning up to this." He sounds a little condescending, like he's my dad or something. "Carolynn, I'm sorry I didn't let you tell the whole story." She takes the phone back and takes it off speaker and kind of turns her back to me. Her mood seems to have changed and she's giggling at whatever Spencer was saying to her. Inspite myself, I admit that she has a cute giggle. Then I hear say to Spencer, "Of course I didn't forget, this is a big deal for you," she said, "I even postponed the opening of the gallery until next week so I can go into the City and be with you for your big day." then she says ok afew times, nodding her head with a smile on her face and then tells Spencer, "I love you, too, babe, g'night." Then she hangs up the phone.

She then turns to me and does something I wasn't expecting me. She grins gleefully and gives me a big hug for a few seconds. It happened so suddenly that I didn't think to hug her back.

"Thank you, thank you, thank you!" she says to me, "You have no idea how grateful I am. You really saved me, that was really sweet."

My cheeks start to blush red and I internally kick myself. Why am I thinking these things!?, I yell to myself in my head. But then I put myself together.

"It's only fair," I say, "you hit me with your car and then I act like an ass about it so I say we're even and we can start over. You wanted to extend an olive branch to a new acquaintance so here I am accepting that branch. And as much as we could use the business, you don't have to get a burger from us every day. Between me and you, that shit has more of a chance of killing someone than our little traffic mishap."

"Wow," she breathes happily, "I know we just met but I would be lying if I didn't say I'm pleasantly surprised at how calm and collected you are now considering what happened this afternoon. What, does nice Donny only come out at night?" she jokes while chuckling.

"What can I say, Carolynn," I say with a smile, "I think you scared me straight." She laughs at that. She sighs down her laughter.

"In a way this is kismet," she says with a smile, "if it wasn't for the events of today we wouldn't have arrived here. Now I think I can speak for both of us when I say we both made a new friend today."

I make a sly smile and say, "well don't get used to it, girl," I playfully boop her on her nose, "I have to keep up my jaded persona." I suddenly realize what I just did and feel embarrassed. Why did I just bop her nose!? I must be making a funny face change and sending my embarrassment, she just smiles at me and boops my nose right back and we both laugh.

"Well, new friend," she begins, "this has been quite an eventful day but I think it's time to say g'night."

"G'night, new friend." I say. And we wave and go our separate ways. I can't believe all that just happened. There's something intriguing about this girl and I'm kind of looking forward to see where this may lead. Just remember she's taken. 'Would you shut up brain?!' That's not even relevant! With that I get on my bike and head home to my crappy apartment.

End of chapter please comment and vote below