Chapter 7

A week later on a Saturday morning (the day of Linnie's Art Boutique's grand opening)

(Warning, Spencer curses in his inner monologues)

Spencer-

Our world, our country, our city, our society, our civilization was built on one simple principle; the one human ideal that keeps everything the way it is; a system that has worked since the beginning of time; whether it's creationism or evolution; there's only one simple truth.

Adapt or perish.

So in a way, it is evolution. But not physical evolution like the scientists and atheists want to believe. No, I'm talking about social evolution. People with the ability to adapt to any situation in any instance. The ability to adapt requires the ability to control any situation. And I have done that. It also helps that I had headstart my whole life.

Growing up in the Upper East Side of Manhattan to an extremely affluent family. And being the man of privilege that I am, never wanted for anything. All throughout my formative years and into high school, I went to the most exclusive private schools, scoring the highest marks in my class every year. Because I adapted. That which I couldn't acheive on my own, my parents would enforce their influence om the school administration. See, my parents were my best influences. But they really didn't need to assert their authority that often. Certainly not in college (Brown) or law school (Harvard Law).

So here I am, sitting in Carolynn's apartment above her boutique waiting for its grand opening after coming here to spend the night so I can 'reaffirm my commitment to our relationship' is what I tell her.

This gives me time to reflect on who the fuck I am and why the fuck I'm really here, because it's certainly not for this stupid art gallery. 

"Good morning, Spence," Carolynn whispers quietly in my ear as she lays next to me, "thanks for last night. It's been quite some time since we did that but it was worth the wait." we kiss softly.

"Where else would I be on your big day?" I respond with my regular charming tone, "I know it's been a whole two weeks since I flipped out on you over stupid, childish, petty jealousy, but now we both know I was right about Donny. He's a lowlife scumbag and I know he works over there in that restaurant and I want to make sure he doesn't try to do anything to ruin things today."

She gives me another kiss, "I've got to head downstairs and get to work, but feel free to hang out here. Make yourself some coffee, fridge and pantry finally has food in it so feel free to make yourself some breakfast and I'll see you later." She gives me a peck on the cheek, gets up to shower and dress and she's off, leaving me to return to my inner musings.

Donny is the primary reason why I came down here especially so early. Not because I'd ever feel threatened by such an insignificant tool and that's what all people are, especially those as worthless as Donny. His sole purpose on this Earth is to flip burgers and nothing else, so I'm here to remind him of his role in life which is to know his place among the social food chain (which is at the very bottom) and has no business trying to change that. He doesn't belong in the ivory towers of privileged society like Carl's law firm. I pretended to make a stink when Carl offered him that job over Donny rejecting the offer. If I acted like a jackass, he wouldn't want to work at the same place as me.

There's one thing that bothers me to no end is insubordination which I admit can get the better of me at times but I'm usually able to charm my way into people making excuses for me. I hate Chad, he's the only person in my orbit that I can't hold under my sway and can see right through me. Fortunately for me, I'm so good that no one believes him and they think he's bitter and professionally jealous. Even his wife Janine only humors him when she says she believes him . I have to destroy Chad and get him out of my life forever. Plan to do this has already begun when I stole his promotion from him by manipulating people into believing that the major case he closed was mine.