The Collision Expands - Chapter 36 - Spencer/Brook featuring Nathan

This chapter begins at the same time as when Chad and Janine see the special news report regarding Chad and Spencer joining Carl's legal council; 

3 hours earlier due to the time difference; a hotel in California

Brook- 

'Breaking News! A new development in the impending trial for Carl; the man accused of colluding with criminal organizations to manipulate the transportation system. Until now, he's been represented by a sole attorney, Madeline, a former employee of his. Now, she's being joined by two of the top attorneys in the tri-state area who both happen to work at Carl's law firm that he was ousted from; Spencer and Chad

What?! Oh my God! I'm so happy for Spencer. I see this Breaking New on the hotel tv as I sit up on the bed with the sheets covering my legs. Ugh, should be there with him. I should call him and congratulate him, but he may not answer and I wouldn't blame him.  I've ignored all his calls and texts. He even sent me flowers to my parents' house for my birthday. He's still so sweet; I'm so horrible. I'm sure he's been working on himself. I said to myself that I wanted him to fight for me and he has but I still haven't given him the time of day. So why have I been avoiding him?

"Hey, Brook, I've got to get to work, alright?" That's Nathan talking. Yes, that Nathan. He leans in to kiss me but I pull away, "Oh, come on, don't be like that. You didn't seem to have issues the past few nights." I say nothing, I give him an annoyed glare and all he does is smirk and kisses me on the cheek and leaves.

Oh yeah, that's why I'm avoiding Spencer, I feel ashamed and guilty. For reasons I can't really explain, I've been sleeping with Nathan, to my utter shame. He said his wife left him and took the kids. He wanted to get back together with me. I still had mixed feelings about him. But after seeing him after all these years and spending a little bit of time with him, I began why I ever had any feelings for him in the first place. Maybe Spencer's indifference toward things that don't matter to him has rubbed off on me. Just like Donny did with me last fall, I accepted Nathan's invitation to hang out so I could get some closure. We went to a bar and we were drinking and we started reminiscing about old times. To my utter disgust, it was then that I first slept with him.

The hotel room we're in, it's his, since Janet kicked him out. I realize about Nathan what should've always realized; he's a lame scumbag. He's so boring but he somehow manages to get women to like him. I think for me, it's always been his eyes. I'll give him that, he does have beautiful eyes. He's also an opportunist snake. He preys on women that are vulnerable. That's what happened with me in college and now, I've come to find out, from Janet, that he did the same thing when he cheated on me with her. She left him because, yet again, he cheated on her. But this time, it was with his personal office secretary, so he abused his power over her to start an affair that lasted for six months. Janet told me she found out because the woman got pregnant. He's also developed a drug problem.

Technically, he's cheating on Janice, again, with me now. They haven't even been legally separated yet. So the question is; why the hell am I doing this to myself. I guess it started as an escape from my problems but it soon became a was doing by rote; out of boredom and when I get down to it, to punish myself. Because lord knows I'm not getting any physical benefit from the sex. He sucks. He can't get it up without snorting his cocaine and he's a two pump chump. He's so delusional, he actually thinks I enjoy our time together and that he's some bull in the bedroom. I even prefer Spencer's aggressive way he makes love. I need to leave, I need to go back to New York to support the man that I love.

I get up and shower and dress head back to my parents house and pack my bags. I need to book a ticket to go back east. It's not just for Spencer, I'm totally out of the loop with what's going on with everyone else in Jersey since I broke up with Spencer and came here. Seeing Chad in the screen with Spencer reminded me that Janine is pregnant. A couple weeks ago, I received a forwarded letter from my New York address (I'm still paying rent on that thing, btw); it was a wedding invitation from and it was actually addressed to me and Spencer. Other than that, I haven't heard a peep. I'm not even sure any of them know we broke up in the first place. But it doesn't matter I'm going back there and surprise him. I just really hope he hasn't met someone else.

I walk through the front door of my parents house when I get a call on the phone. It's Spencer! I start crying happy tears. This time, I'll gladly answer.

Spencer-

"Brook?" I say, "Brook, please don't ignore me this time." I hear nothing

"I'm here, Spencer," I hear my queen's voice and I think for the first time in my life, my heart skips a beat, she sounds like an angel, "I'm really sorry I've been silent all this time. I've been going through a rough time."

"Because of me, right?" I admit. "I'm truly sorry for all I put you through and for not being there to console you during your time of need. I hear her laugh a little

"Wow, is that empathy I hear from you, Spence?" she asks me.

"I think I've changed a lot since you broke up with me, Brook." I say, "I've been doing really well in therapy. I know I still have a long way to go but...I really and I want to come see you and bring you home with me if that's okay. If you've found someone else during the time since our breakup, I understand. You deserve to be with someone that doesn't need to be trained to be human and will know how and when to treat you right." She sounds like she's crying over the phone, "Brook, are you okay?"

"I'm a amazing now that you've called, Spence," Brook says, "but don't go anywhere, I'm coming back to you. Besides what about your big trial."

"That's why I called," I say, "this will be the trial that will define my career and I'll need to conquer it. But for the past month my focus has been conquering myself to be a better man for you. I can't focus on this trial if you're not here with me. I love you." I feel myself starting to cry

"I love you, too, Spencer," she says through happy tears, "more than you'll ever know. So don't go anywhere. I'm headed back east now. I'll see you soon." she makes sound like she's blowing me a kiss

"That's good to hear because I may have a surprise when you get back," I conclude, "see you soon." I hang up and I'm elated. Having emotions is hard but it's also rewarding. About that surprise I mentioned, I'll say this, Donny's not the only one that can do a surprise proposal.

Some time later; back at the hotel;

Nathan- I spoke with Brook's parents. Apparently, she's going back east to get back with her boyfriend. I'm going to follow her there; I beat Donny for her and now I'll beat this guy. I still have unfinished business with Donny, anyways. But before this is all over, one way or another. Brook. Will. Be. Mine!

End of Chapter. Please comment and vote