Chapter 4

Around 5pm on the Friday evening two weeks later

Carolynn-

During my mostly silent car ride with Spencer into the City from my new New Jersey home (he understandably insisted on driving), I reflect on the happenings of my first two weeks in my new surroundings and my life in general (which is what I was trying to do before I hit Donny with my car) We're headed to our apartment to get ready to go to this bar for the reception Dad's firm is hosting in honor of Spencer's promotion.

Since Donny and I have made peace that night he took the bullet for me with Spencer about the car, things have been better between us and for the following two weeks we hung out and I got to know him and the town a lot better. As I promised, I did go to the restaurant every day but I didn't always buy anything I just began enjoying their company. I even met Kenny's girlfriend Gina, who's really sweet but with a dry sense of humor. Donny and I would engage in harmless banter to the amusement of all those around. And true to his word, Donny had the car smoothed out and fixed and looked better than it was before. He even paid for my traffic ticket. He and Kenny and a bunch of their friends even helped me move in. Spencer even came to visit last weekend.

I'll say it right now, when Donny's not being an ass he can be a real sweetheart and he's quite good-looking, slightly taller than me (but
quite a bit shorter than Spencer who's well over 6 feet), slim, adorable dark brown hair and captivating dark brown eyes (even bolder than my own brown eyes). I must say if it wasn't for Spencer I could see myself possibly dating Donny then again, despite his financial situation, although I'm not sure my parents would necessarily approve of Donny and they really love Spencer. Not that it would really make a difference but my heart only has room to love one man right now and that's my amazing fiance.

I've also tried to talk to Donny about what Kenny told me about his past but whenever that's brought up, Donny reverts to his standoffish, asshole attitude. But it got me thinking his story is very familiar, not only because it's almost the same as my background before my life did a 180 right before I started college when mom's cancer went into remission, but I something about this story feels very deja vu. It sounded like something my best friend and mentor Janine (who I've known my whole life going back to our shared home town in Oregon) and her fiance Chad and their circle of friends used to bring up to me as a cautionary tale during my own struggles. Speaking of Chad and Janine, she chose me to be her maid of honor at their upcoming wedding and I'm so excited.

As we go through the Holland Tunnel, Spencer still hasn't really said a word to me. He came to the town for the first time and visited my shop, he came to see how the car turned out. He was still a little peeved with me but when he saw the car and met with Donny in person about the accident, he became a little less tense.

"Hey, babe?," Spencer says, bringing me out of my rumination, "We're almost home, you want to call your dad? Tell him of our ETA? When we're on our way to the bar I'm going to need you to call Chad tell him we're on our way so he can have the band start to play."

"Ok, sure" I say while yawning and rubbing my eyes. I should talk to Dad anyways; I haven't spoken with him since before my little move to Jersey. Spencer's a little intimidated by Dad but I think that's what drives him to work hard which is one of the things I love about him. Sure, Spencer can be a little intense at times but that's what happens when someone's passionate and ambitious to be the best in that person's chosen profession. If I'm being honest, it does get a little frustrating for me because we've been together for four years and engaged for two of those years and our sex life has been stagnant for quite some time and whenever I broach the subjects with Spencer he gets irritated and says I'm being a nag and says we'll set a date after he gets his big promotion from Dad which is why we're celebrating tonight.