Chapter 13/Prologue to Cogs of Deception

Still Tuesday; a little later that same day

Russ-

"Thanks for the accommodations, sir," says one our departing guests, "I've been to many bed and breakfasts' and yours's is the best. This is much better than a hotel."

"We appreciate your business, Gus," I say, "make sure to look us up if you're ever back in town." Yes, my life has finally found it's grove. Ever since son Donny and his lovely girlfriend Linny became deeply involved everything has fallen into place. Newly, off parole; although I still have to meet with my probation officer once a month; I no longer have to be confined to New Jersey. I can go to New York and visit my wife's grave, catch up with some old buddies and I was even able to get my other son Chester out of that group home and is now living with me. Thanks to the money earned by Linnie's video I was able to buyout the building I was living (in Donny's old) apartment in from that old European grump Benny.

Chester has an aid, Betty, that has permanent residence in the building and we even have a service dog Gimble. We're living in Benny's old landlord suite on the first floor. Yeah, life is good.

Oh my phone's ringing. Huh? It's a Connecticut number; who do I know from there except...

"Russell." I hear a familiar voice; whispering. No one's called me Russell in years. "Russell, it's Carl." Oh, Carl. I was wondering when he'd call me. No one knows that we have a history. He probably wants me to help him sabotage Donny and Linnie like he tried to a few months ago.

"Carl, why are you whispering?" I ask, "If this is you trying to get me to help you again, you know I won't do it."

"Heaven's to Betzi, I wish were that simple." He says, he voice is laced with fear, "I've made a big mistake, Russell; a huge mistake and now you and me and everyone we care about is in danger. They may listening to us right now. I know they're coming for me. They hate loose ends."

"Carl, I have no idea what you're talking about " I say; utterly confused.

"It's the Westies, Russell," a shock went down my spine, "the Old Westies, they're back. And they want you." I hoped to all that is holy that I'd never hear that name again.

"How do you know this, Carl?" I question him suspiciously, "I thought you sent them away ages ago about the same time you popped me."

"I did!" He snapped, "All of the last remaining living major players are still serving life sentences!"

"Ok, so how are we in danger?" I ask, "And again I ask, how do you know this Carl?"

"Some of their underlings, they're cogs if you will, are still at large and they've been biding their time before they can make a return." Explained Carl. "I know this because I'm damn fool! Months ago I had a case where I had go into Hell's Kitchen to see one of my contacts there. It was then that I started hearing the rumors of their return. So when I needed someone to cause a commotion with the transportation so that your son, Donny, wouldn't come here to Carolynn's birthday party, the arrogant fool that I am cut a deal with them. They did that for me and I give them you."

"Me?" I ask defensively, "I haven't been associated with those clowns since long before I met Lisa. Why now? What the hell do they want from me now?!" I startle Chester and Gimble barks at me. I go outside, "One sec, Carl, I have to go outside."

"Neither of us have the luxury of one sec," he says, "you've got to get to Hell's Kitchen now!"

"But why do they want me!?" I scream. "Carl? Hello? Carl!?" The phone went dead before he could answer. I'm scared to death; not for me but for my sons. Linnie could be in danger, too. I have to call Donny and get him here ASAP. I'm going to have to go away for awhile. I'm not even worried about the parole officer, I'm worried about my sons!"

I can't leave Chester here by himself! Teresa! That's who I need to call. Chester knows her and maybe she can give me some damn answers about what the hell is going on!"

Half an hour later
"Russ! I got here as soon as I could," Teresa exclaimes, exacerbated, "I'll watch Chester. I have a rifle and I know how to use it. I also have Gimble here and I can have a police car monitor the area. You've got to get going."

"Well, obviously you know what the hell's going on, so please enlighten me!" I scream. I jinxed myself when I said life is good now!

"There's no time, Russ!" You have to tell Donny and my Linnie to come here so I can tell them what's going on!

"How can I tell them that when I don't know what's going on!" I yell.

"Alright, this much I'll tell you," Teresa exclaimes, "they're out to settle old scores and you're one of them. They need you to go somewhere for them, I don't know what. And, Russ...?" That's an awful long pause for someone who wants me to get out of here!

"What else!?" I scream, "What more is there!?"

"They know, Russ," she says with a knowing look, "they know about your daughter."

To read the rest of this storyline follow my upcoming spin-off story entitled Cogs of Deception- here's a link https://www.wattpad.com/story/348065956-destined-to-collide-presents-the-cogs-of-deception

End of chapter please comment and vote below