Chapter 21

The next morning on the way to the airport. Sunday, quite early

Donny-

As requested, I've barely said a word to her since I picked her up in my mom's old station wagon. The tension between us is so thick, I don't anything could cut through it. Despite Craig's suggestion, I've long since given up on telling her the story of how it was me all those years ago that helped her change her tire; the one where she thought she met her soulmate, before Spencer. I don't think it'll change anything, especially at this point.

I don't think she really believes in all that stuff anymore; I think I've made her as bitter and cynical as I once was. I'm glad she let me do this for her at least, it'll also get me away from Candy's toxicity. I went back to Kenny's and I did spend some time getting to know Naldo and even though we couldn't communicate it was still nice to be around him. Kenny doesn't know that much Italian and he's still mad at me anyways; and Candy absolutely refused to translate for me.

That woman couldn't decide if she wanted me or hated me. She told me that if I choose to be with Linnie then I'll never get to see Naldo; she's using our child to give me an ultimatum. Don't get me wrong, there was a time that this was my dream; she was the girl of my dreams. We grew up next door to each other; my mother treated her and Kenny like they were her kids, since their mom walked out on them and their dad soon after they were born.

Candy was my first crush and my first girlfriend. We 'dated' in middle school but it's middle school. We were both, basically, still children, but I even then she was the first girl I told 'I love you' and I meant it. Or I thought I did at the time but I see things differently now, with my 20/20 red pill vision.

"Donny, what was your mother like?" Linnie breaks the silence and rouses me from my thoughts. I guess I'll have to reflect on my history with Candy later.

"I thought you said no talking?" I say

"Fine, you're right, don't tell me." she answers

"I'm sorry," I say, "the question kind of caught me off-guard, but I'll answer."I take a few minutes to compose my thoughts and I take a deep breath, "My mother was amazing. She was just like you; kind, funny, very open-minded, and unapologetically optimistic. She met and fell in love Russ while he was in prison, for Heaven's sake. She'd love you and she'd think you'd be perfect for me."

"That's funny," Linnie says quietly with a cute smile on her face, I look at her, "my mother said the same about you." That made me smile too. "Go on." She says

"Everything she did, she did for me and Chester; she never treated Chester any different than she treated any other kid. That's probably why he's the way he is now; very perceptive and empathetic of people's feelings, insanely patient and a complete vault when it came to keeping secrets. and most of all, she was full of personality. Probably where me and Chester get it from. The headstrongness and the stubbornness definitely comes from Russ." Then I look at Linnie and ask, "why are you asking about my mom all of a sudden."

"Because I know that you get your attitude from Russ," she says, "but I'm curious to know where you got your other side, because I really like it."

"What side?" I ask

"The kind and sweet side." she answers. I really want to kiss her right here and now but I think it wouldn't be right. Also, we've arrived at the terminal entrance." I pull up to the curb and I help her get her bags out.

Once she has all her stuff with her, I say, "So this is it, huh? You go through those doors and we're officially broken up and I may never see you again, right?"

"I guess so." she says softly

"Well, I'd kiss you goodbye, but I don't think it would be right under the circumstances." I say, then something hit me, a quote my mom used to say that Russ and I adopted, "The path of destiny not always clear, but the journey is what shapes us."