Chapter 18

Soon after the meeting from the previous chapter

Donny-

"Hey, Don-Don, where Lin-Lin?" Chester's asking about Linnie,

"She's on an airplane, buddy, isn't that cool?" I say. I'm over at the B&B hanging out with my brother (which is closed for business until the stuff with Russ is stored away; all the rooms are occupied by various government agents)

"Cool Cool!" Chester exclaims, "Where she go?" he asks

"She's going to Hollywood, buddy," I say, "you know about Hollywood?"

"Yes, Kester know Hollywood," Chester says, he can't say his own name so it comes out as Kester, "where make movies! Lin-Lin make movie?!" I nod my head yew. He's a lot smarter and observant than most people give him credit for. He knows about the stuff with Russ and Carl. He's very good at keeping secrets and he has a really good memory.

People often ask me what's it like growing with a brother like him and I always say not that much different than growing up with any other brother. When my mom was alive, Chester never once lived in a facility or a group home because my mother was a nurse herself and she looked after him. My mother came from a very rich Jewish family so we were able to hire aids to help him when my mom was at work. I never look at spending time with him as a chore; I love it. Despite his limitations, he's still full of personality and he's always very animated.

"Why Don-Don no go, too?" he asks

"Because I gotta take care of you, buddy." I say

"But Neil here," he points to his caretaker (he's secretly one of the agents that's protecting us), "Don-Don go be wit Lin-Lin, now!" Like I said,  full of personality. How do I answer him in a way he'll understand."

"Because we're not getting along, right now, buddy." I say

"Kester not get it," he says; I had a feeling he wouldn't, "Kester love Lin-Lin; Lin-Lin nice to Kester. Don-Don love Lin-Lin, too, yes."

"Well of course I do, bud!" I say with sincerity

Then I hear Gimble barking, immediately followed by my favorite voice in the world,
"I'm glad to hear you say that, Sexy-Boy," it's Linny!?, "because I feel the same way!" She comes up to me and gives me a big kiss.

"I'm confused," I say, "I thought you'd be on your movie set right now."

"Larry was able to get the shooting postponed," she says, sweetly, "I tore up the original contract that Derrick made me sign; turns out it's a bogus contract and he overstepped what he was instructed to do which was just give me the pitch; he could be getting fired."

"Well, that's good news at least." I say

"Are you listening?" She says, "I stayed here because I really thought about our fight; I should have never said any of those things, I don't know how much more sorry I can be. I want to come to LA with me." In my mind, I would love to but,

"I don't, Lin," I say, "I know you're sorry but you still said them. I thought we agreed to take some space?"

"You agreed to that," she protests, "I never did; I don't want the space I want you!" She pulls something out of her purse, it's the box with the engagement ring I was going to give to her, "I do."

"You do, what?" I say confused

"I'll marry you, silly!" She says, sounding almost frantic and desperate

"How can you say 'I do' when I haven't proposed yet!?" I say

"You gave me the ring," she says, "that's basically a proposal." My God, she's so cute right now.