Chapter 17

The very next day; very early Friday morning

Linnie-

I'm a freakin' zombie right now; I barely slept a wink. At the first sign of daylight I rushed out the door. Donny, bless him, was still sleeping peacefully on the couch. I gave him a light peck on the cheek before I left.
I'm walking with a purpose towards my old apartment above the Art Bistro because I know that's where Derrick is staying; with his mom Ashley. I know it's real early but I'm calling Larry now; besides he lives in New York City so he's used to getting woken up real early. I call; straight to voicemail. So I text him to say to call ASAP.

I'm here in front of the building now. I use my key that I, of course, still have. I match up the stairs. I open the door and I'm surprised to see Ashley is already up in her nightgown, sipping coffee.

"Where is he?" I say emphatically, "I'm such an idiot, Ash. I should've listened to you! Donny and I had a big fight last night and he nearly broke up with me and I don't blame him. He still wants a break but I can't allow that. I have to tear up that contract I don't care what happens to me."

"It's alright, girl," she says calmly, "I already did that for ya last night." She gets up and gets her trash can from under her sink and then pours the tore up contract.

"I knew you'd come to your senses and get here the first chance you got, that's why I'm up now. After you left yesterday," she says, "I cussed that boy out. He was outta line puttin' all that on ya all the sudden. I knew he was gonna talk to you about a movie deal, I didn't know he'd be all forceful and opinionated like that. Also, he lied, I spoke to Larry about it and he never talked to Derrick about this; he didn't even know about it. He did some askin' around and turns out they did send that boy out here to talk to you because he know you, but he was supposed to tell you that the movie won't happen without you and you can take all the time you want to decide. Also that was a bullshit contract. He typed that up himself. I think they gon' fire his ass but then he'll have to stay here. He told you all that stuff because he wanted t'get with you. He admitted that to me himself last. Larry said he'll call you later but right now, you go on back home and get some sleep, you look a mess, honey. Go get your man."

This is a huge relief; I quickly took the torn up contract and run back home.

I want so much to show Donny how sorry I am that I (or rather Ashley saved me the trouble and did all that for me) ripped up the contract and refused to fly to LA and I just want to be with him. But when I get inside I see left already. I get out my phone and I get ready to call him but then I see 3 missed calls and 3 texts from all three of them; one from Donny; one from Janine and one from Larry. From Larry it says he has more information about the movie; from Janine it says 'please meet us for lunch at the Bistro at around 1, Gina and Brook will also be there, we have something urgent we need to warn you about and cancel any interviews you may have it's THAT important. Finally, from Donny he says, 'thanks for not waking me up when you left. I'm at law school now and then I'm going to hang out with Chester. Look, I'm really sorry we left things with so much tension but I think this time apart could be just what we need. Have fun making your movie in Hollywood I hope it turns out great; you really deserve this and I'm not being sarcastic or passive aggressive, I really mean it. I love you and you mean the world to me. I hope to see you back here with me when it's over, Gorgeous. You're still the love of my life and nothing will change that.'

After reading that last line I broke down in tears again. He still thinks I went, I have to speak with him right away. I try running toward the door but I trip and fall. I guess I can talk to him later; I need to sleep.

A couple hours later; moon

I don't know how long I've been asleep when my phone's ringtone wakes me up with a start. I check my phone; it's Janine. I guess this is about the lunch they want to have with me since it is around noon.