Chapter 20

Literally the next moment

Donny-

"Are you happy now, Candy?" I ask her as I walk back toward the car, "Now everybody knows, including the love of my life who I'm going to have to convince not to make our breakup permanent."

"I thought I'm the love of your life, Daddy Donny?" Candy says. I'll say about her what I said about Linnie, Candy makes real hard to be mad at her.

"No, you're the childhood girl of my dreams," I say, "there's a difference."

She's been trying to be all lovey dovey with me all day, especially since we got the results back. I haven't returned her PDA; I have a lot to figure out. I want to be in Naldo's life, of course, I just don't know if I want to be in her life romantically. I'm still in love with Linnie; she's my end game. Or at least I still want her to be. I still believe she's my soulmate.

I already saw Linnie leave the building making a v line to avoid us, on her way to our apartment. I really need to speak with her before it's too late.

"I'm sorry, Candy," I say, "I have to speak with her. She's still my girlfriend."

"I thought that with us having a son together, your choice is clear. It's with me, it's with us; we're your family now. Why are you hung up on her? She broke up with you."

"Yes, Candy because of you," I say, "you kissed me right in front of her and I was so caught up in the moment of seeing you after half a decade that I met you."

"But we have a son!" She's starting to sound like she's having a temper tantrum like a little girl.

"Listen, Candy," I say, "I'm still processing all this myself. I don't know what's going to happen between you and me or if there's even going to be a you and me. Now I suggest head on back to your brother's house while I try to save my love life."

"But you can't abandon your son!" Now she's really screaming

"We can talk about this later, Candy, but right now I have to deal with this." I say and with that, I go to chase down Linnie.

Linnie-

I don't know what to think about all this, I really don't. After reading that paternity test and seeing the results, this thing has been taken to whole new level.

I deliberately went out of my way and walk passed them because I'm really at loss for words. What would I say to them? I really wish Russ was around, I think he'd be able to help Donny through all this, but I think with all this crap going on, I don't think anyone's noticed he's gone. I don't think I could be of any help even if I wanted to and, frankly, I'm not sure that I do. This is way above my pay grade as a girlfriend and I guess technically, we're already broken up, temporarily. But now that he has a child with somebody else, it may have to be a real break up, even though it breaks my heart. I told him to fix all this, not make it more complicated. I know that's unfair but this is way too much for me. I have to focus on my own life and future; I'm flying out to LA early tomorrow morning to make the movie of my video.

I'm walking towards the apartment when I hear someone calling my name from behind me; I already know who it is without turning around and for the first time, I'm not that happy to hear his voice call my name.

"Linnie, please!" Donny calls to me as he gets closer, sounding like he's out of breath. I don't break my stride and I don't say anything, I just keep walking, "Please, Linnie, would you please talk to me!"

"What's there for us to talk about, Donny?" I finally say

"I don't know," he says, "what this means for us?"