Ch.2 Coffee

Chapter 2

Twenty two years ago

Anjali

Anjali's eyes flew open as she heard Giovanni's voice whisper her name in her ear.

She hadn't been able to stop thinking about him since he had dropped her off at the hotel the day before. Her heart fluttered like a swarm of butterflies, their wings powerful enough to lift her off the ground. As she laid in bed blushing with the memories of those blue eyes looking up at her though their lashes, the smile on Anjali's face widened. She rolled over and buried her face in the pillows, hoping it would make the jitters go away. But they never did.

So he's not a serial killer, Anjali thought to herself. But I still don't know him.

However, he was a gentleman, Anjali argued with herself. So was Ted Bundy. Would you stop thinking about Ted Bundy!

With a heavy sigh, Anjali rose from bed and threw the pillows down. The jitters running up and down her spine made her feel restless. Her cheeks were beginning to hurt from how often she smiled. The bounce to each step she took made her giggle as she threw her hair up into a bun and walked over to the small balcony of her hotel room. Pulling the robe tightly around herself, Anjali stepped out into the morning air and filled her lungs. Her hands rubbed the back of her sore neck as she took a seat on the chair and pulled her legs up.

Del Mare was just beginning to rise. The shops were opening up one by one and the delivery trucks were making their rounds. Anjali watched everything with keen eyes before her gaze landed on her yellow punch buggy.

The hood was popped. A pair of legs stuck out from beneath while a figure leaned towards the engine and tinkered with the wires. Anjali leaned over the railing until she spotted Giovanni. As if hearing the small gasp from her lips, he looked up and caught her eyes.

Oh....

Anjali swallowed the sudden lump that formed in her throat. Her eyes trailed up Giovanni's arms as he wiped the grease off his hands on a small towel. The corner of his mouth curved up into a small smile as he caught her staring. Anjali's cheeks darkened. Her gaze fluttered about as she tried to step away from the balcony.

"Would you mind coming down here?" Giovanni called up from the streets.

"Me?" Anjali pointed to herself.

Giovanni looked around and chuckled, "Yes, ma'am."

"W-why?" Anjali asked.

"Today's not Sunday," Giovanni teased. "I have to get back into the Serial killer business."

Roberto, the mechanic laid under the yellow punch buggy, slid out and stared up at Giovanni. He arched his brow as he wondered what the man was going on about.

"I'm just teasing you," Giovanni chuckled as Anjali peered at him from the balcony. "It was a joke."

Seeing the playful smile on his face, Anjali couldn't help the little laugh that bubbled out of her. She chewed on her bottom lip as his eyes scanned her face in the morning sunlight. There was something in the air that made them both forget there were other people around.

"One minute," Anjali said, holding up a finger.

Giovanni nodded as the girl turned on her heels and ran back into her room. He stared after her hoping she would come back again but when Roberto stepped in front of him, Giovanni lowered his eyes and wiped the smile off his face. Clearing his throat, Giovanni turned back to look at the car and rubbed the back of his neck.