Ch.4 Money can't buy happiness

Chapter 4

Anjali double checked her purse before stepping off the elevator and heading to the lobby. She had arranged for a taxi to take her to the church at the top of the hill for her friend's wedding rehearsal and given how eventful her morning had been, Anjali was already running late.

"Ms. Malhotra," the receptionist smiled as Anjali walked to the door. "Your taxi should be here in a few minutes."

Anjali nodded, "Thank you."

"Should I request a ride back to the hotel?"

"No, thank you," Anjali replied. "I'm pretty sure my friend will drop me off."

"Okay, ma'am," the sweet lady nodded. "Have a wonderful day."

With a smile in return, Anjali turned towards the door and hurried down the stairs. The air was already too hot. Her hair blew around her in the hot wind as she looked to her left and then to her right. The taxi was nowhere in sight. Just as she thought of going back inside to wait, her eyes found Giovanni standing across the street beside his car.

At first he didn't notice her. His hands played with his car keys as he gazed at something over at the market. Anjali peered at him, feeling her heart flutter before she began to frown. As Giovanni's eyes turned towards her, she quickly looked away and pretended to look for the taxi. Giovanni pushed himself off his car and quickly crossed the street. He walked towards Anjali as she turned away from him.

"Do you need a ride?" He asked.

Anjali shook her heaD, "No, thank you."

"You're not going to be able to catch a cab here."

"The hotel already called a cab," Anjali said.

"They'll take forever to get up here."

"I have time," Anjali checked her watch. No, time. You're late!

"Where are you headed?" Giovanni asked patiently.

"To places," Anjali said.

"Anywhere in particular?" Giovanni chuckled.

With a sigh, Anjali slowly turned back around, "To the church. Up the hill. That big one."

"Yeah," Giovanni's eyes looked at the church. "I know that one."

Anjali turned away again.

"By any chance, are you here for Serena and Jacob's wedding?"

Anjali arched her brow, "You know them?"

"It's a small town," Giovanni smiled. "And Jacob happens to be one of my best friends."

"Oh..." Anjali said quietly.

"Today's their rehearsal, right?"

Anjali nodded.

"I'm headed over there," Giovanni said even though he had no intention of going earlier. "You can ride with me."

"But my taxi-"

"They're not going to make it," Giovanni said. "Come on."

"Are you sure?" Anjali asked. "I hope you don't mind giving some random girl a ride."

Giovanni hung his head. When he looked up, he had a sheepish smile on his lips that made Anjali's heart skip beats. He was...charming to say the least.

"I apologize for that comment," Giovanni said.

"It wasn't rude," Anjali confessed. "I just...."

"You didn't like it."