Ch.40 In Too Deep

Chapter 40

The last place Mila wanted to be was at the Capello mansion. It was evident on her face how uncomfortable she was. Her eyes stayed lowered and she barely spoke a word. Her shoulders were tense and each step she took was calculated and laced with caution.

From a distance, Archer could only watch as Anjali escorted Mila out of the car and guided her upstairs to her room. His chest constricted with a profound ache, witnessing her in such a somber state. He longed to shatter the emotional barriers that stood between them, to defy all objections and pull her into his embrace. His heart yearned to hold her close, showering her with affectionate kisses. She was home, but she wasn't in his arms....

And it was killing Archer.

"She won't speak to me," Anjali sighed as she came down the stairs. Her face twisted with emotions that were too strong for her to handle.

"Give her time," Geet walked over to her daughter and placed a nurturing hand on her shoulder.

"This must be very hard for her," Silvia said quietly. "Poor thing."

"It would have been easier if no one lied to her," Arianne muttered under her breath.

Archer's jaw clenched as he listened to them all speak of Mila. All he could think about was her sitting all alone in her room. His eyes moved up the stairs and before he knew what he was doing, his feet were carrying him to her.

Anjali looked over her shoulder as Giovanni's eyes tracked Archer. They both frowned in unison when they realized where he was headed.

"Archer-" Anjali tried to stop him.

"Anju," Geet shook her head. "Not now. Don't do this now."

"But ma-"

"She needs him right now," Geet said.

"No, she doesn't," Anjali said stubbornly. "She's a little shaken. But she doesn't need him."

Archer listened to their words as he took the stairs two at a time. He didn't care what anyone said as he made his way to Mila's room and stopped before the closed door. Raising his hand, Archer knocked gently.

"Mila?" His voice was tight, all the air in his lungs suffocating him. "Can we talk?..... Please. I just.....I just need to talk to you."

Inside, Mila listened to Archer's words as tears rolled down her face. She sat on the edge of the bed, biting her lip as her body trembled with quiet sobs.

"Mila, please," Archer begged again. "Open the door."

The desperation in his voice made every nerve in Mila's body cry out. With her whole heart, she wanted to run to the door and throw it open. She wanted to see his face and lay on his chest. But her mind wouldn't let her.

Mila couldn't look past all the times Archer and everyone had kept her in the dark. She couldn't forgive them for making a fool of her.

"Mila," Archer continued to beg, his voice breaking as if he was running out of breath. "Please....I love you. I love you so much."

Mila's heart ached. She felt it tear in half, splitting down the middle and bleeding for Archer. Her tears fell upon her hands as she pulled her knees up and wrapped her arms around them.

"I'm not leaving," Archer said from the other side. "I'm going to be right here until you open the door."

Mila laid down on the bed and stared at the door. Her tears rolled down her face and began to roll towards her ear. Her eyes were dry and they burned like the desert.