Ch. 12 Roman Holiday

Chapter 12

Reluctantly, Mila made her way downstairs and towards the car parked outside. Arianne smiled at her as Archer looked up from his phone and ignored her presence. Mila let out a sigh and stepped forward.

"Have fun," Arianne said.

"Thank you," Mila spoke quietly.

Dreading the next few days, Mila's heavy steps carried her to the front passenger seat of the car. She got in and buckled in her seatbelt as Archer followed her. He slammed his door shut and started the engine as Drew walked out of the house with her oversize sunglasses and mini purse. Mila watched the girl walk over to Arianne and kiss her cheeks before making her way to the front passenger seat.

"You're in my spot," Drew said.

"Just get in," Archer said impatiently. "The back is empty."

"I don't sit in the back," Drew informed him. "Mila, move."

"I got here first," Mila said.

Drew lifted her sunglasses over her head. Her face was pinched as her eyes narrowed.

"Move or you'll wake up with your hair cut off again," she threatened.

"I like to see you try," Mila smiled. "We're not twelve anymore."

"No, but you're still afraid of the dark," Drew smiled just as sweetly. "I would hate to lock you in a dark room while in Rome."

"I'll lock both of you in the trunk," Archer snapped. "Get in the back, kitty cat."

"Kitty cat?" Drew snorted.

Glaring, Mila swung her door open. Drew yelped as it hit her and caused her to stumble back.

"You little bi-"

"All set?"

Mila and Drew turned as Giovanni emerged from the house.

"Yes," Drew nodded, laughing.

"Good," Giovanni walked to the passenger side. Mila watched him as he pulled out a small envelope and held it out for her.

"What is it?" Mila asked.

"I put you on my account," Giovanni announced. "That's your new card."

Mila opened the envelope and pulled out a shiny black credit card. Her eyes widened as she quickly dropped it back inside and shook her head.

"I can't," she said.

"You can," Giovanni laughed. "And you will. I have a lot of Christmas and birthday gifts to make up for."

"This is really no-"

"We're going to miss our flight," Archer looked at his watch.

"It's a private jet," Mila reminded him.

"I won't hold you guys up for too long," Giovanni stepped back and ushered Drew forward. Mila and Archer kept their mouths shut as he opened the back passenger door for her and helped her get in. "Safe flight. Call me when you land."

"Bye, dad," Mila waved.

"Bye, sweetheart," Giovanni reached down and kissed the top of her head. "Archer, be on your best behavior."

_________________

Despite Drew's attempts, Archer stayed to himself for the rest of the drive and flight. Mila kept her headphones on and ignored their dry conversation as she curled up on the farthest seat away from the pair on the plane. When they landed, Drew hurried to the car to get into the passenger seat in the front. But as she got in, Archer chuckled and settled down in the back seat with Mila.