Ch.3 Name and Number

Chapter 3

Mila stared at the blank computer screen in front of her. Not a single word was on the page. Her thoughts were jumbled and her heart complained about the restlessness she felt. But there was nothing she could do. She didn't want to write but she knew she had promised herself to make at least one entry for every night that she was in Del Mare. The blank document on her laptop screen seemed to mock her. When her phone rang and Geet's name popped up on the screen, Mila quickly grabbed it and accepted the call.

"Nani?" She answered.

"Mera bachcha," Geet greeted her. "How are you?" (My baby.)

"I'm okay," Mila said.

"You don't sound okay," Geet noticed right away. "What's wrong? Put the video camera on. Why can't I see you?"

"It's an audio call, Nani," Mila clicked her tongue. "Press the video button."

"Hold on," Geet said as she started her video.

Mila opened her camera and placed it against her open laptop screen.

"Ah, there," Geet smiled. "Much better."

"Hi, Nani," Mila placed her chin on her knees and smiled.

"What's wrong with your face?" Geet asked, her kohl ringed eyes growing narrow.

"I saw him today," Mila said quietly.

Geet's eyes widened, "Oh."

"Yeah," Mila looked down at her hands.

"And?"

"He didn't recognize me."

"He never met you," Geet reminded her. "What was he like?"

"I don't know," Mila shrugged. "I didn't speak to him."

"Did you tell him who you were?"

"No."

"Why not?"

"I...." Mila clicked her tongue once again, upset with herself. "I froze. I couldn't think of anything to say to him."

"So you only have a tongue to argue with me and your mother."

"You're not helping!"

"You have to talk to him," Geet said. "That's the whole reason why you flew there, no?"

"I know I have to talk to him," Mila said. "I've thought about it for years. I have a whole script ready."

"Then what happened?"

"I told you," Mila sighed. "I froze."

Geet shook her head as she stared at her granddaughter. She knew how important it was for her to visit Del Mare. Her heart ached thinking about the girl being so far from home with no one to hold her.

"There's a guy..." Mila began slowly.

"You've been gone for one day!" Geet suddenly gasped. "Already, Mila?"

"Nani, please," Mila rolled her eyes. "I'd rather die than think of this guy in any way."

"Who is he?"

"I don't know," Mila said. "But he knows Giovanni."

"Dad," Geet said. "He's your dad. Stop calling him by his name. It's disrespectful and I didn't raise you to be disrespectful."

"Dad..." Mila said quietly.

"So this guy?" Geet arched her brow. "He knows your dad?"

Mila nodded.