Ch.39 Merchant of Death

Chapter 39

Mila's had was warm.

That was all Archer could focus on as he sat beside her hospital bed. He kissed each of her fingers over and over wishing he could breathe life into her. His eyes were heavy with sleep and exhaustion but the thought of leaving her alone for even just a second didn't sit well with him.

Running a hand through his messy hair, Archer moved his chair closer to the bed and brushed his thumb over Mila's flushed cheek. For the hundredth time, he counted all the marks and bruises on her face. Each one was a glaring testament to the torture he had endured. Archer's eyes watered as he gently brushed back Mila's hair, his finger trembling. He didn't want to hurt her any more than she was already.

In her sleep, Mila felt Archer's feathery touch and leaned into his hand. She knew he was beside her from his familiar scent and slow breathing. She could hear him sniffle quietly as his trembling fingers played with her hair.

If Mila could, she could have kept her eyes closed forever and let him play with her hair. If she could, she would have pretended to be Sleeping Beauty and never wake up. If she could, she would have stayed in her deep slumber and never faced reality.

But that wasn't possible.

As Mila slowly opened her eyes, the harsh light in the hospital room greeted her with a throbbing pain behind her eyes. Beside her, Archer moved his hand away from her cheek, afraid that he had disturbed her. But he couldn't bring himself to move too far from her side. He knew he needed to give her space, but he was equally afraid of losing her again.

"Hey there," Archer whispered, his voice trembling with emotion. His eyes glistened with tears of joy and relief as he continued to gaze at her, his hand hovering uncertainly in the air, unsure of where to land. He wanted to hold her, but he also didn't want to cause her any pain.

Mila slowly awakened in the sterile, unfamiliar surroundings of the hospital room. The harsh fluorescent lights overhead felt like a painful intrusion, intensifying the throbbing ache behind her eyes. Confusion and disorientation clouded her thoughts for a moment until the events leading to her hospitalization came flooding back.

As her senses gradually sharpened, Mila's gaze flickered towards Archer. His face was etched with a mixture of relief and concern. His presence, usually a source of comfort, now only added to the growing turmoil inside her.

Archer's expression shifted, a fleeting look of panic passing through his eyes before he tried to compose himself. He hesitated for a second before speaking her name.

"Mila," he began slowly.

Mila watched him, dread pooling in her chest. Tears welled up in her eyes, and she felt a lump forming in her throat. With great effort, Mila parted her lips.

"Why..." She rasped, her voice barely above a whisper. "Why didn't you tell me?"

Archer swallowed hard, his gaze dropping to the hospital sheets as he spoke. The silence in the room was deafening, broken only by the distant sounds of the hospital.

"Why?" Mila asked again, pushing Archer's hand away and struggling to sit up. "You and everyone else....you all lied to me."

"Mila, please-" Archer reached out to help her, his insides shaking and his gaze unable to meet Mila's.

"You knew about my dad," Mila's voice cracked. "You knew what he did...you knew what this town was...why didn't any of you tell me."

Mila's emotions swirled inside her, and threatened to drown her. Archer hung his head, unable to provide a satisfactory answer to her anguished question. He couldn't justify his silence.