Ch. 45 A thousand times yes

Chapter 45

All the air in Mila's lungs was crashing down on her heart. She swore her heart was going to stop beating as she stared into Adien's angry glare.

"Let go of me," Mila managed to say as she struggled to pull away from his grip. "Don't touch me!"

Aiden's lips curled back as he laughed sinisterly, mocking Mila and jerking her closer.

"No!" Mila cried. "Stop, stop!"

"Look at me," Aiden growled as he grabbed Mila's face and sunk his nails into her cheek. "Look at me. He's not coming."

Mila's heart shuddered. She felt her knees grow weak as Aiden's words sunk into her like knives.

"He's coming," Mila whispered. "He won't leave me here."

"Where is he then?" Aiden snickered. "Oh, Archer! Where are you?"

"Let go of me," Mila tried to shove the man with all her might but her body did not get the message. She felt as if her limbs were soggy noodles, incapable of holding any strength, leaving her to Aiden's mercy. "Please."

"Beg," Aiden's eyes darkened. "Go on and beg me."

"Let go of me!" Mila cried out. "Let go!"

"Mila!" Archer called out, his voice spiking Mila's heartbeat and filling her with relief. "Baby, open your eyes. I'm here."

Gasping, Mila opened her eyes and felt her soul return to her body in the darkness of their bedroom. Her lashes were coated with tears and her cheeks flushed. Archer loomed over her, holding her face and searching her eyes.

"Just a bad dream," he said. "You're safe."

Hearing his words and feeling his warmth, Mila broke down sobbing. She felt all the fear from her nightmare weight down her heart as Archer pulled her into his arms and buried her head under his chin.

"You're safe," He stroked her hair, kissing her.

Mila pulled herself closer until it was impossible for even a breath of air to exist between them. She pressed her nose into Archer's shirt and inhaled his scent, her heart shivering and trembling. Their legs were tangled with the blanket and their bodies twisted together like vines.

"I'm here," Archer lowered his lips to Mila's ear. "I'm never going to let anything happen to you."

"I wish I could forget about them," Mila whispered. Her tears soaked into Archer's shirt. "They'll always haunt me."

"They're gone," Archer promised her. "They won't ever hurt you."

Mila didn't reply. She continued to hold onto Archer to fill the hole in her heart. The warmth of his body soothed her. It brought her back from her nightmares and into his arms. After a while, her muscles began to relax and she pulled back to look at Archer's face.

"Hi," Archer smiled gently. His eyes were heavy with sleep but he fought them to stay awake. "You look so beautiful."

Mila placed her cold hand against his face and leaned forward. She rested her forehead against his as Archer sighed and closed his eyes.

"Do you..." he asked, his voice sleepy and his eyes barely open. "Do you want me to stay up with you?"

"No," Mila whispered. "Go back to sleep."

"Can you sleep?"

"In a bit," Mila brushed her lips against his, hoping to reassure him that she was okay. Her fingers raked through his dark hair tenderly as her eyes traced his features in the dimly lit room. The moon was bright outside their window. Its silvery glow snuck into the house and danced with the warm yellow light of their nightlight, like two souls.