Ch.21 Off the Clock

Chapter 21

Archer let out a frustrated sigh, his eyes scanning the documents scattered across the table. He felt like he was drowning in a sea of numbers and contracts. This was not his forte, and he couldn't help but feel overwhelmed by the weight of responsibility thrust upon him.

"Ben, where are you when I need you?" Archer muttered under his breath. His older brother had always been the one groomed for the family business, while Archer was left to explore his own interests and passions.

As he tried to make sense of the complex financial reports, Archer's mind drifted back to his father's teachings. His father had focused on molding Ben into the perfect successor but had neglected to involve Archer in business matters. Now, with his father and brother gone, the burden fell on Archer's shoulders, and he felt ill-prepared for the task.

The pressure in his chest seemed to intensify, making it hard for him to breathe. He tried to take deep breaths, but the stress weighed heavily on him. Archer clenched his fists, feeling the tension in his body as he fought with the overwhelming responsibility.

Fuck me, he thought, feeling a mix of frustration and fear. He didn't want to let Giovanni down, but he also felt like he was in over his head.

Archer's thoughts were interrupted as Jeremiah approached him with a concerned look.

"Are you alright?" Jeremiah asked. "You look tense."

Archer forced a smile, not wanting to burden anyone else with his struggles. "Yeah, I'm fine. Just trying to figure everything out."

Jeremiah placed a reassuring hand on Archer's shoulder. "You don't have to do it all alone, you know. I've been working with your family for years, and I'm here to help you."

Archer appreciated the offer, but he still felt the weight of the world on his shoulders. He couldn't shake the feeling that he was not cut out for this role.

As the hours passed, Archer continued to pore over the financial reports, feeling increasingly overwhelmed and uncertain. He couldn't escape and it felt like the walls were closing in around him. In a moment of frustration, he pushed the papers away and leaned back in his chair, running his hands through his hair. He closed his eyes, trying to find some calm in the chaos in his mind.

"How's Mila doing?" Jeremiah asked.

Archer opened his eyes and smiled, "She thinks you're Giovanni's mafia contact."

Jeremiah looked up from the papers in his hands. His brow arched in amusement as his mouth twitched.

"Oh yeah?" He asked. "What did you tell her?"

"I told her she was crazy," Archer shrugged.

"Is she asking questions?"

"Nah," Archer shook his head. "She just watches too many movies."

"I've noticed," Jeremiah muttered. "I've been monitoring her search history."

"Anything interesting?" Archer wondered. "Let me guess. Shah Rukh Khan movies, Bollywood romantic song collections?"

"Pretty much," Jeremiah said. "And a few doctors."

"Doctors?" Archer asked curiously.

"Some specialist," Jeremiah said.

"What kind of specialist?"

"I don't know. I didn't have the chance to look into it," Jeremiah put down the stack of papers and picked up another file. "This mess in New York has all of us on edge."