Ch.17 Mafia Bodyguard

Chapter 17

The drive back to the hotel from the hospital was filled with a heavy silence that seemed to hang in the air. Giovanni glanced at Mila through the rearview mirror with concern in his eyes, while Archer sat in the back, lost in his own thoughts.

As they arrived at the hotel, Giovanni's voice broke the silence, urging Mila to start packing. The family plane awaited them at the airport, ready to whisk them back to Del Mare. Silvia wanted Mila home as soon as possible.

Mila's movements were clumsy and exhausted as she moved through the room, collecting her belongings, folding clothes, and packing them into her suitcase. Her mind, however, wandered to the events of the day, the emotions still raw within her. She thought of the way Archer called out her name and pulled the man away from her when she had fallen to the ground. Her heart shrank every time she remembered the blood pouring down his face. And then there was Giovanni...

Mila couldn't understand why he would blame Archer. His reaction was uncalled for and if she was being honest with herself, it frightened her to see how he had stood before Archer with his hands on him as if he was ready to take his rage out. Mila's head spun as she sank to the edge of her bed and tried to talk herself through the events of the day. If her mom ever found out, she would lose it. Mila would be locked away forever.

While deep in thought, Mila suddenly remembered the small jar of homemade ointment Geet had packed for her in her travel kit. Jumping to her feet, Mila rushed into the bathroom and pulled out the small bottle. She held it tightly in her hands as she turned towards the door and swung it open, only to be met by a tall figure blocking her door.

"Hello, Mila," Jeremiah smiled as he turned to face her. "How are you feeling?"

"Fine," Mila said. "How are you?"

"I'm going well," Jeremiah nodded. "Are you done packing? Your dad asked me to help you with your bags."

"Were you just standing out here waiting for me?" Mila asked.

"Yes."

"Why?"

Jeremiah hesitated for a second before speaking, "Today has been crazy, no? Giovanni just wants to make sure you're safe."

"I'm okay," Mila said.

"Do you need anything?"

"No," Mila shook her head. "I was just going to go see Archer-"

"He's busy."

"Is he in his room?" Mila frowned.

"Yes," Jeremiah said.

"I'll just be a minute," Mila took a step forward but Jeremiah quickly blocked her path.

"What do you need?" He asked. "You can tell me and I'll help."

"I -" Mila took a step back. "Where's dad?"

"He's speaking to Archer."

Mila felt her heart lodge into her throat. It started to beat wildly as her eyes flickered to Archer's door and the two men standing outside.

"Why?" She asked.

"Just to get the full details about everything that happened," Jeremiah said.

"Shouldn't I be there too?"

"You've had a lot to deal with today," Jeremiah said slowly. "I'm sure Giovanni does not want to overwhelm you."

"And what about Archer?"