Ch. 32 The Past, The Present, The Future

Chapter 32

Twenty-two years ago

Arianne's fingers felt like ice as she stood by her brother's side, waiting for the doors to the chapel to open. The weight of Giovanni's gaze was heavy yet it had no effect on Arainne.

"Arianne-"

"Don't," Arianne's voice held a hint of sharpness as she cut off her brother's attempt to address her. The icy chill in her words sent a shiver through the room.

"Marcus is a good guy," Giovanni said. "He's not like his father."

Giovanni's attempt to defend Marcus was met with a slow, deliberate turn of Arianne's head. Her eyes, once filled with warmth and light, now appeared hollow, drained of their usual spark. She locked eyes with her brother, her gaze like a mirror reflecting the distance that had grown between them.

"I hope you and Anjali have lifelong happiness," she said, her voice laced with a bitterness that cut deep. "And someday, when she gives you an heir...I hope it's a girl."

Giovanni's jaw tightened beneath the surface of his stoic demeanor. He had made a choice, a difficult one, but one he believed necessary for the sake of his family.

Arianne's gaze remained fixed, her eyes shimmering with unshed tears. Her emotions seemed to well up, threatening to spill over, yet she held herself with a fragile strength.

"I hope you have a beautiful girl, Gio," her voice quivered, "And I hope every time you look at her, you remember what you did to me."

"I would never agree to this if I had any doubt in my mind about Marcus," Giovanni said.

His attempt to justify his decision fell on deaf ears. Arianne's eyes turned away, her gaze unfocused as she confronted the painful reality of her situation.

"There's no need to lie to me," she stated, her words a mix of resignation and bitter understanding. "I know my role in this family. If it wasn't Marcus, it would have been someone else."

"I only promised them marriage," Giovanni said. "I didn't say you had to stay with him for the rest of your life. You can get a divorce any time you want."

"And then what?" Arianne chuckled and questioned, her voice tinged with sarcasm. "You'll arrange my next marriage based on another business proposal?"

"No," Giovanni shook his head. "My hands are tied this time."

A tense silence hung in the air as Arianne's words settled, her gaze remaining steady despite the storm of emotions raging within her. Giovanni's denial seemed to only fuel her skepticism.

"I'm sure," she replied, her voice heavy with both resignation and a lingering trace of defiance.

"Ari, please try to understand."

"I understand," Arianne said. "It's a crime to be born a woman in Del Mare."

"Don't be do dramatic."

"Dramatic," Arianne laughed. "Do me a favor, Gio? If your daughter ever comes home with a broken heart, tell her that, okay? Tell her not to be dramatic. Look her in the eyes and say that her pain means nothing in Del Mare."

___________________

Present day

Archer wasn't allowed to come back to the house the next day. Or the day after that.

Jeremiah followed Mila where ever she went in Del Mare and made sure she had no contact with Archer. Mila was beginning to feel suffocated. Her only form of contact with Archer was through her phone. But even then, her cell service had been awful. She was constantly missing texts or phone calls.