Opening up

Love cannot make a house where secrets and lies sleep.

_______________________________

Chapter twenty-two: Opening up.

"Okay. Your dresses are here, your cards are there. The caterers will arrive on time. Anything else?" Mahaya asked as she ticked off every sing item on the list.

Tanya shook her head.

"That's all I guess." She sighed as she sat down on the chair.

"Great. I'll be leaving now. I have to meet with Karen. She's going to meet with me one last time. Then, after two weeks, I'll know their decision." Mahaya gushed.

Tanya smiled at her warmly.

"I know you'll get it." She wished.

"I know it too." Mahaya winked as she left.

Tanya's Sangeet was two days too far. Her best friend was going to get married soon. How did they grow up so fast?

"Hello Mahaya." Karen greeted warmly as she unlocked her iPad.

Mahaya smiled as she sat down in front of her.

"So, this is the last meeting." Karen said.

Mahaya nodded.

"Yes it is. And I hope it goes well."

"Oh, it will. And staying here has been a pleasure as well. Fighting for this job had been worth it." Karen grinned. The red streaks in her brunette hair were glistening in the sun.

"Why did you fight for it? Americans too eager to come to India?" Mahaya teased.

Karen shook her head, laughing sadly.

"No. I came here searching for someone." She replied and Mahaya knew this was a personal and touchy subject for her.

"Okay. So I closed the Sharma case." Mahaya informed.

"So I've read." Karen told her, referring to her case files.

"And this means that you've closed in on a tie with Rashi. You both are equally efficient but I have a feeling it's going to be you for this job." Karen assured her.

Mahaya smiled but she couldn't help but wonder if Karen said the same things to Rashi too.

They talked a while about how the board decides on who gets the job. They talk about Mahaya's strengths and weaknesses.

"You are controlling, so the opposition does fumble against you, which is a really good thing. And you are confident in what you presume, as you check all the facts, so you've got that covered too. The only thing lacking was your demur. You seemed cold and distinct at first but now, over the couple was weeks, you've softened up. I was worried that if you were selected, you wouldn't get along with the staff. But now it doesn't seem like a problem anymore." Karen admitted.

Mahaya mentally made a note to kiss the hell out of Yashraj when she gets home. Mahaya did notice the change he had brought in her. Her colleagues and assistant had started talking to her freely and openly.

Mahaya smiled in return.

"So, I guess this is it. I'll talk to you in two weeks. We should have the decision by then." Karen smiled as she got up.

Mahaya got up with her, smiling in return. Today was good, pretty good.

"I'll drop you somewhere?" Karen offered.

Mahaya shook her head politely.

"No. My boyfriend will be coming to pick me up." Mahaya replied, grinning.