Betrayal stinks

Sometimes sorry isn't enough. Sometimes you have to change.

____________________________________________________________________________________

Chapter twenty-six: Betrayal Stinks.

"You followed me?!" Mahaya couldn't believe what she just said.

This question was ridiculous. Yashraj wouldn't betray her this way. He wouldn't break her trust.

Yashraj didn't reply. He looked everywhere but her.

Tears pooled in her eyes.

"You followed me." She said it as a statement, no longer a question anymore.

He had done it. He betrayed her, her trust.

She looked at him, analysing his face, which showed guilt.

None of them spoke for a long moment. Mahaya was still wrapping her mind around this thought whereas Yashraj was desperately thinking of ways to redeem this.

Mahaya rubbed her face once and then started walking past Yashraj.

"Mahaya, where are you going?" He asked.

She stopped, and without looking at him answered.

"Somewhere where you aren't there." And left the room, leaving Yashraj feeling miserable than he had in his entire life.

___•_____

Tonight was the night of the Sangeet and Yashraj had been desperately trying to talk to Mahaya.

But it was difficult due to two reasons: a) She was always loaded with the Indian version of Maid Of Honor duties.
B) she didn't even want to see his face.

Yashraj had called her too many times to count, left her endless voice notes on Whatsapp and also sent several texts but Mahaya never responded to even one.

These last twenty-four hours had been killing him inside. Up until this moment, he hadn't realised how stupidly and deeply he had fallen in love with this girl.

There was no coming back from this. She was it. Mahaya was The One and it took him this stupid stupid mistake to realise that.

He felt like slapping himself but that wouldn't do anyone any good.

Kartik and the boys were now refreshed though the breakfast had been a painful experience to even look at. Everyone was suffering from a hangover, even Rishabh, who supposedly didn't drink.

But Yashraj regretted not going to the party. If he had been there, Mahaya wouldn't have fought with him, or realised what he did.

But then, she wouldn't even have opened up to him.

"You've been so calm and patient through all of this."

Calm and patient.

He just wished that for once he was patient. If only he hadn't followed her to that big stupid house, if only his curiously didn't get the best of him, Mahaya would still be with him and loving him more than ever, now that she'd opened up to him.

Yashraj approached Mahaya during lunch and snacks. He even went up to her door.

During lunch and snacks, Mahaya simply turned a blind eye while when Yashraj knocked her door and rang her door bell several times, she opened the door only to shut it on his face.

The Sangeet was going to be better. Yashraj was sure of that. Mahaya and he were supposed to dance together. Tanya was going to make sure they did. Couples dance was in order.